Tau painting question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tau painting question

Hi very new to the site and the game, i decided to start my warhammer40k hobby with Tau as im a sucker for mechs.

My problem is 2 fold but i only need insight on 1, ive assembled my first squad of Tau firewarriors like so:

Head,torso,legs

Now what i want to know is it a good idea to paint the arms and backpack seperately before glueing them to the model or should the model be completely assembled when painting?

Same goes for the kroot which im having trouble with assembling in regards to the left arm connecting to the wrist then attaching it to the torso.

Can someone give me some insight please.

Thanks
    Seacow

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

Welcomme to the forums!

I don't think it matters that much. I would glue them on and paint them directly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that how you usually do it? I know some people leave the weapons off on space marines and paint so they can paint the chest correctly but the tau's weapon and right arm are one and the same so if i wanted to id have to leave both off.

However the Tau dont have like any intricate details on the chest just a small circle but some of the weapons cover them up completely. Decisions decisions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

I would attach any two-handed weapon afterwards, it's easier to paint and looks better afterwards! Any bits covering areas of other parts of the mini should be attached afterwards (same reason as above). Last but not least you should read through the LO articles on it, they're mainly very general, but exactly these general tipps make your mini look better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hekau Chasut
    I would attach any two-handed weapon afterwards, it's easier to paint and looks better afterwards! Any bits covering areas of other parts of the mini should be attached afterwards (same reason as above). Last but not least you should read through the LO articles on it, they're mainly very general, but exactly these general tipps make your mini look better.
    exactly

and when you glue them on just touch up the spots where the glue came out with paint and they will look much better then if you attached the arms before painting hope that helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks so i think thats what ill do, the only thing that was bothering me about that is that we dont have any dedicated GW shops here so its very hard to get supplies, the best glue i can get in town is Tamiya plastic cement. Its very good but thats because it melts plastic together and it does the same for paint so i am a little worried at times. But i want my first army to look as good as possible. The other thing is i hear some people leave the backpacks off and paint them seperately as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do like this with my Taus.

Glue on everything except the "trigger arm" which is connected with the gun aswell. From here you can reach the breastplate and stomach areas very easily. When I painted those parts I glue the "trigger arm" on and paint it after that.
    Things go better with Petter

Check out my gallery: Click here to see!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So i should also glue the packpack then. Ok well ive experimented with similar methods on my brothers first army when i helped him paint it but when it comes to priming with spray i usually use Prestik, sticky white plastic like stuff used to stick stuff temporarily to walls and such, to cover the spots where the glue will connect the pieces together as the cement eats the paint. After the model is primed i just peel off the black Prestik and throw it away and i have a blank spot to glue. Does this sound like a good idea?

+ Reply to Thread