Highlighting - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: Highlighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correct me if I'm whrong,
    when you high-light a model you take a brighter color on the edges of armors etc....
    I have never clearly understand it.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x8)

Yes, that's correct.
    Ze titles yez...
    When in doubt,
    Smite.
    <SilverMane> I would trust BID with my life
    <SilverMane> HEIL BID!
    <Adrian-> BiD is Omnipotent; All Knowing, All Powerful!
    <Scary_Troopers> I see you as an optimist, GT. : D

But what of the midgets!?
    =]Front in favour of Moderation of the Harshest kind.[=

Kei
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Darkness, how do you do that? I mean, is there a technique that is particularly effective at doing so?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just take a colour thats a couple shades lighter than colour of the armour, and paint it in lines along the raised edges.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup thats basicly it, when you start out with highlighting, experiment some with one layer, I have come to the point I always use at least 3 highlight stages.

It just asks some practise on brush control, practise on some old minis or minis you plan to strip anyway. practice is key on getting the hang of highlighting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To get your different shades, I&#39;ve read that you can mix some white into the color. How well does this work?

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

I&#39;d rather use a lighter shade of that base color itself before i mix ink into it.

If i highlight my Thousand Sons, the i usually do it this way:
    I painted them with dark blue (usually by applying two or three layers of blue ink over white primer, that often works better than painting it the regular way, with normal blue paint).
    Then i highlight with regal blue, in order to do this i took two drops of it out of the pot, enough for the whole procedure. When i finished this, i mix a little lighning blue into the regal blue which i still have on my palette (or i get some new out of the paint pot). However, for any following layers i just mix a little lightning blue into that paint which i used for the previous stage, this way it becomes lighter and lighter without much work - the paint autmatically becomes lighter everytime when i add new paint for a new layer. Once it reached a tone that is close to lightning blue, i continue the preocedure with skull white. Sometimes, with citadel colors, it&#39;s necessary to add a tiny amounth of water to the mix, in order to stop it drying. Vallejo colors work great for this, because they don&#39;t dry as fast as citadel ones.

jwu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just take the basecoat color and mix it with skull white to get the desired effect, and paint the lines on very carefully. Works charms for me
    If Knowledge is Power, then Genius is Tyranny.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:ph34r: yeh u are right (Y)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a tip for highlighting . undercoat him in black and build up to the colour and then highlight . if you give one coat in the colour you want you can leave that in the shadowed areas , then give a few more coats on the areas you want the colour , then highlight , to highlight mix up a lighter shade of the colour , then wipe of the excess paint and use the edge of the brush to go along the edges , thats how i do it and it works grand for me , take those tips and your models will look alot better . highlights really complete a model , they make it look alot more real , the minis are to ...um....mini to pick up the light like real life size things , thats why we have to resort to higlighting to make them look more real , i hope this helps .

i hope i wasnt ultra spamming . :diespam:
    AE-86 Twin cam corolla . a beaut &#33;

<a href='http://www.freewebs.com/imperator-judicium' target='_blank'>Please visit my website . Imperator -=][=- Judicium .</a>

<a href='http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Mojo.jojo' target='_blank'>LOL &#33; this is one of the funiest videos ive ever seen &#33;</a>

join the librarium-online dawn of war clan <a href='http://www.freewebs.com/librarium/' target='_blank'>HERE</a>

<a href='http://data.forumhoster.com/forum_slayer/index.php?showforum=1' target='_blank'>Check when the next clan game is on here</a>

Closed Thread