Welcome to Librarium Online!
Ok i have been working on this and have the legs, body an base done, im keeping the arms seperate for gaming purposes.
As these sections are complete i have put a layer of purity seal (satin varnish) on the model. This was my first time properly experimenting with highlighting the edge of armour, i normally leave it flat or ink it but i decided to try and do it properly this time. It wasa bit untidy but i was pleased with the effect. However now i have varnished it the highlights are not very visible ( though it has tidied up some of the brush strokes that were visible before).In these pics you can barely see them, though on the model they are slightly more prominent.
What i want to know is should i got back and re-highlight the armour, or maybe just do the extreme highlights on the edges again.
The pictures arent great i just took them handheld under a regular light as i wante to see what they came out like.
And yes i am aware of the patchy paint on the left front plate of the body, i will be touching that up when i decide what to do regarding highlights.
Opinions, crticisms etc are very welcome.
Last edited by rovens; June 15th, 2006 at 23:01.
looks good...love the base. Just some parts of the paint looks either to thick or to thin, ie. is not even over the entire model. What I do is paint using with numerious watered down layers. Most of my models will have at least 3 layers of paint on them, all very thin and watered down. It just builds them up and makes it seem smoother.
Just my 2 cents worth though, otherwise, well done!
I know, especially on that left front panel. I was suprised though as ive used a coat of red gore then 3 coats of blood red, followed by chesnut ink, followed by one more coat of red, and its still streaky.
I'm guessing you used a black undercoat.
That's your problem, it is showing through. You'll just have to give it as many coats as it takes, if you want to get rid of the patchy look.
Coulrophobia - Fear the Clown!
ANZAC clan Inquisitor =]A[=.....flattery is my Achilles' heal.....Originally Posted by A mod
Yeah, killerclown is right, it can take alot of coats to get some colours to look right on a black undercoat. Water down you paint and give it a few more coats, you may start to notice a difference.
Another thing you need to do is give the dread some highlights to stop it looking so flat, but you obviously need to finish the main colour first(sorry, getting ahead of myself)
I do like the base, simple but effective.
Let us know how it goes mate, best of luck
Hope this helps
yer just keep slogging at it...if u keep ur layers thin and watered down, then u should not have a problem with it looking thick. It's worth it though, where u get that "perfect" red, esp. with Blood Angels...looks brillant IMO!
I did do highlights, but the varnish seems to have dulled them to such an extent where they are hardly visible in the pics. That was one of the purposes of this thread to get peoples ideas on whether i should re-highlight or not.Originally Posted by rp252
Ill put your comment under the 'needs re- highlighting' heading then
Keep the comments coming.
edit - the darker patches on the plates are where i have done a terrible job at blending my highlights, but the highlights arent very visible except for kinda being visible in the bottom left of the 4 pics.
Im hoping Slorak will jumo in here and give me some advice, i saw his BA recently and they are really good.