Ink Washing eroor - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x2)

Ink Washing eroor

Yeah, so I got my awesome new high elf model painted. And then I go to wash it with watered down black ink (like 50/50 water/GW black ink or something, i dont know exactly) and it looks jawesome right away, but when it dries it leaves visible lines and little circles on the flatter areas. I've read this is from the ink drying around water crystals in a circle.

So, how exactly can I make the transition from the inked area to the color around it smoother, and eliminate those ugly little circles?

Gloria Imperator, The Firstborn Stand!
    - 2000pts Inquisition, 2000pts Vostroyans, 3000pts Vampire Counts, 1400pts Daemons, [WIP] 2500pts Death Guard

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Basically, the surface tension of the water causes it to 'clump' together, and dry in those spaces.

Amazingly, a little bit of floor polish (future floor is the most often suggested as it works amazingly., you only need a drop) will break up the surface tension and allow the wash to flow evenly.

Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

Spelling error too!

Floor polish works, though if you use too much it will be very shiny. Some companies produce surface tension breakers (ST that work as well.

If you are patient and have the time, you can keep gently working the ink wash as the water evaporates. Always work the ink toward the darker shade and stop when the water is mostly gone (you will figure this out with practice).

A combo of STB and patience work well for me.
    Coulrophobia - Fear the Clown!

ANZAC clan Inquisitor =]A[=

Quote Originally Posted by A mod
    Killer Clown - Please refrain from the dry, mocking, sarcasm you have so wittingly displayed here
    .....flattery is my Achilles' heal.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

As others have said, it is effectively tide marks. Water crystals?? damn someone saw you coming!

there are a number of products that can help, people advocate as above polish, pashing up liquid, but me I go for Flow enhancer, you can get a decent sized bottle for about five pounds sterling, it only needs about one part in 20
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

Cheredanine, surface tension breaker = flow enhancer.....same thing!
    Coulrophobia - Fear the Clown!

ANZAC clan Inquisitor =]A[=

Quote Originally Posted by A mod
    Killer Clown - Please refrain from the dry, mocking, sarcasm you have so wittingly displayed here
    .....flattery is my Achilles' heal.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x2)

Alrightay, thanks for the recommendations... no idea where I'm going to find surface tension breaker or an economical amount of floor polish, though XD
    Gloria Imperator, The Firstborn Stand!
    - 2000pts Inquisition, 2000pts Vostroyans, 3000pts Vampire Counts, 1400pts Daemons, [WIP] 2500pts Death Guard

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

How about some soap or dishwashing fluid mixed with water! A tiny drop will work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

If you are going for the future floor wax I am pretty sure you will only be able to get the lifetime supply regular sized bottles of it. My suggestion - wallmart or some other big multipurpose store and I am sure you can buy a bottle for about $5. Not very cost prohibitive at all.

As for the extenders an art/craft store should carry them. Liquitex is a major maker of extenders and additives for acrylic paints.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

+ Reply to Thread