Highlighting Red Robes - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Highlighting Red Robes

So I have this eldar farseer and I painted his robes red(blood red over black primer) only to reach a mental block when it came to highlighting his robes. I've experimented with lighter shades of red, but that didn't look good. What do you think would work better?

I was also considering painting it black(or dark red) and highlighting it red. Though I would need a way to contrast that with his cape which is also black.

Kai Shin Craftworld (Biel Tan / Ulthwe) 5000 pts
    Emperor's Children 2000 pts
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

FPD
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i do my red robes a base of 50/50 scab red and scorched brown, then layer up the reds through to 50/50 gory/blood
    In all honesty, you're probably better off ignoring everything I say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never painted an eldar farseer but I always hightlight Blood Red with Blazing Orange.
    "Official! The graves of warriors who have given thier lives for the Emperor now outnumber the stars themselves."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x5)

Start with scorched brown as a base coat then progressively layer it up with scab red, red gore and blood red, then ink it with red ink. I did one highlight and ink on my helbrecht model in the gallery and it looks great. I wish I would have gone through all the stages.
    Xbox Gamertag: x Helbrecht x

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Red can be tricky to highlight - add white and it becomes pink add orange and it can become too orange. The usual way is from a darker red base and work upwards, using the lightest red as your highlight. But you can also add yellow. As you should know yellow and red will make orange but by adding a small amount of yellow the shade should alter to a red/orange. The more yellow added the more orange it gets.

Your choice but you are usually safer with using red as highlight.

KU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -31 (x0)

Well, I don't know how you like it, but look at mine:

http://i72.imagethrust.com/images/tQ...retinue-2.html

That was a basecoat black, and was completley painted over with red gore. Then I put blood red most of the way down the ridges, and then I washed it with a black wash... not black ink, that is too strong, just black paint and water. Then I highlighted in red again. It was pretty easy, and pretty good looking, for the ammount of time it took me.
    TSg.t Zakarius Clay
    142nd Cadian, Stationed Planet Skyfall B
    4th Brigade, 1st Battalion, 1st Co.
    'The Pathfinders', Drop Team - 6

Pssst.... give me kudos....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys. I'm going to try some the stuff you suggested when I get home today.
    Kai Shin Craftworld (Biel Tan / Ulthwe) 5000 pts
    Emperor's Children 2000 pts
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

As others have suggested starting with a darker red/brown for the base is the best for a red - red. If you want an orangish red then highlighting with orange to the blood red will work.

The richness of the red will of course depend on how many layers and steps you want to go through.

I usually base mine with Burnt Cadmium red (vallejo model color), give it a brown ink wash, then do scab red, gore red, and then bloody red (vallejo game colors). As to how to apply it - keep the darker colors in the recessess of the cloak and lighten as you move up to the top of the folds in the cloth. Using multiple layers will give you a smoother finish. Aside from the vallejo model color the other colors should be close enough to GW equivalents.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im in the same boat, working through oranges and whites and variations of red.

Mike - I hate you, those are some of the sickest paint jobs Ive ever seen, very nice man!
    any chance of seeing the other side of the captain?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Well I guess there is a little more red to show on the front...

Back on track... Remember to keep the paints thin and translucent and they will blend together much smoother.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

+ Reply to Thread