Mass Nid paintjob advice needed quickly - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    93 (x1)

Mass Nid paintjob advice needed quickly

In have a slight problem. I'm looking at painting a friends nid army for some cash but he needs it real soon. after looking at my marines he decided i would be a good painter. though i'm not to bad i'm not good either. I need some help doing a simple yet stunning color scheme for some nids, i've undercoated a hive tyrant (new edition) in white and i have most of the base colors and a few others. I was thinking of doing blood red skin with an red ink wash for the recesses and dark angels green plates but after a bit of testing on a lone gaunt it resulted in a diastster. i'm ok at standard painting but any technique i'm not very good at. I'm good at drybrushing and unsure at inks but everything else i'm a disatser at.

please help

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

If you are good at drybrushing go with that. I to am learning to ink and wash. What is the time frame for the Nids to be done?
    Why use science and education when ignorance and superstition will work just as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

93 (x1)

bout a week. the army is 1500pts and my friend even got me to buy the tyrant for it. its got about 50-70 models but i'm getting a lot for it in cash as well, for the tyrant he is paying me 30 when i managed to get it for 18 no pand p as store was local so nice big profit.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    695 (x8)

Your best bet is to batch paint 10-12 models at a time. Don't stop working until you've completed a batch every 24 hours. That way you should be able to do it in a week.

How about dry brush the whole model brown, then dry brush the skin with successive layers of red, with a final painted highlight of red to bring up the red nice and bright. The armour plates just need a tidy up with brown then a few strokes of a lighter brown to add depth. Weapons can be painted the same as the carapace a nice highlighted brown.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

93 (x1)

thats a nice idea, I was thinking if i could use greens or blues or even yellows, two shades of each as base colors or a mix. I've haven't got much brown if any i've seem to of lost it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

85 (x4)

Drybrushing and ink washes are basic methods for mass-painting huge armies. Go for it.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    695 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by zsssmart
    thats a nice idea, I was thinking if i could use greens or blues or even yellows, two shades of each as base colors or a mix. I've haven't got much brown if any i've seem to of lost it

Buy some then. Blues and greens contrast too much with red. Yellows are too difficult to paint quickly over a black undercoat. Go buy a bestial brown and a snakebite leather.

You have to use a black undercoat, its quicker then a white and you can use it as shadows and black lining.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

93 (x1)

i would have already bought the browns but my local retailer doesn't have any in and probably won't for a long time and the nearest place i can get them after that is 60 miles away the other local shop that did them shut down and they did gaming as well

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

695 (x8)

ok contact my mate Scott at DWHS, he stocks vallejo at £1.15 each or gw at £1.75

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

You say you have trouble with inking. I do loads of inking and I'll try to help.
    Ink is a liquid and because of this it will drip of your brush easily getting all over the place.
    To control it dip your brush into the ink lightly, just a dab don't hold it in there. Then there will be ink in your brush begin to wipe it lightly against the inside edge of the pot allowing most of the ink to flow back in.

Now your brush should have very little ink on it. Apply this to your model. By carefully using a controlled amount of ink you can control it. The results can be particularly good if the model has already been drybrushed. This is because the layers of paint already there will be coloured by the ink to resemble each other more closely. When ink is used in this way to change the colour of the model it is called staining.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast