Chaos Tainted Storm Troopers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x2)

Chaos Tainted Storm Troopers

Theme for my Inquisition army. I'm trying to figure out a way to make IG Storm Troopers look chaos-tainted, to fit with my modified Ringwraith models and the rest of my dark-cloaked army... needs not to be that expensive, too, have to convert about 40 troopers

Ideas?

Gloria Imperator, The Firstborn Stand!
    - 2000pts Inquisition, 2000pts Vostroyans, 3000pts Vampire Counts, 1400pts Daemons, [WIP] 2500pts Death Guard

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    258 (x5)

I think the easiest way would be to green stuff some horns onto their helmets (or even tusks onto the gas masks), like some of the other Chaos models have. Also, adding spikes/barbs etc (made from green stuff) to their armour would give a decidedly chaos-like edge. Other ideas include:

- Have some human skulls/heads strung from their belts. Or you could use some other interesting trophy - like hands for example (you likely get twice as many hands on a plastic sprue as you do heads!). Also, some body parts hanging from chains would work nicely
    - You could give each sergeant a Wheel of Chaos somewhere on their uniform. For example, each could have one around his neck (like an uber fetish collar), or hanging from a chain around his neck. There are some wheel of chaos plastics out there, but green-stuffing one should not be too difficult.
    - Add suitably nasty looking blades to the guns. Also, adding spikey bits to the guns would look pretty cool
    - Dunno if this idea would work, but maybe if you green-stuffed a tattered loincloth onto some of the models; it might help give them a more feral look. You could paint a chaos symbol onto the loin cloth when you paint the model.
    - Pay some attention to the bases. For example, each storm trooper could have some tiny daemons (made from green stuff - notice a common theme in this post?) swarming around his feet. Also, addition of skulls/body parts and the like to the bases will help to add to the general chaos-ness of the model.

You should paint them so that they look otherworldly. Maybe make the faces (on the troopers without gas masks) very pallid, or a different colour from flesh alltogether.

I have tried to stick with green stuff as much as possible with the ideas, in order to make the work as cheap as possible. However, if you are looking for suitable sprues for this conversion work, I would suggest this and this.

Hope this helps. Post up some pics when you finish these models, I would really like to see how they turn out.

Cheers,
    Rich.

"Praise" for rp252:
    Da Mighty Camel:
    No, for your information, rp252 is lonely because he is hideous
    Jaffar_Hasad:
    Behind his ugly bloodthirster face, there's some wisdom stored away for moments like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree whole-heartedly with rp252

green-stuff is the way to go, as well as the 8-pointed stars, spikey bitz, and trophees (sp?)

are you gunning for one of the specific Chaos powers, or just Undivided? because that would have alot of influence on exactly how you would convert these guys
    Shoot first....shoot again....annnnnnnnnd shoot some more, cause I think I saw his leg twitch.

Also, very mad props to aerion_the_faitful for making so many damn good drawings, esp. ones of Space Marines (and the one that I use for my Avatar)!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x4)

Carving Chaos sigils will also work.
    And over there we have the labyrinth guards.
    One always lies, one always tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions.
    http://xkcd.com/246

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x2)

Thanks rp252, that gave me some ideas. To clarify, the troopers need to be chaos looking, but not with like horns or anything so that they fit with the dark look of these models: click

And these (haven't converted them yet): click
    - 2000pts Inquisition, 2000pts Vostroyans, 3000pts Vampire Counts, 1400pts Daemons, [WIP] 2500pts Death Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    258 (x5)

Urgh, thats a little more difficult than just straight Chaos conversion. I've had a look at the stuff you've already done and had a few more thoughts. Your current ringwraith based models have a deinate air of mysteriousness and creepyness about them. You should try to emulate this feature in your ISTs:

- Make some cloaks or other flowing clothing similar to those found on the ringwraith models. Make it really flowing and tattered, and it'll look nice and creepy. You don't have to do this for all the models - that would be alot of work. Maybe you could just make them for the sergeants or other important members of the team.
    - Hoods, similar to those the ringwraith models possess could be modelled onto the ISTs. This would hide the heads and faces of the models, again lending them a creepy quality. I think it would also look very cool, but might turn out to be alot of work.
    - Books and the like seem to be a common theme amongst your ringwraith models, so maybe adding similar things the the ISTs (with suitably unhappy/evil sayings) would be a good idea.
    - The tattered loincloth idea from above would work. Indeed, any hanging bit of clothing would help bring the models a bit closer to the ringwraiths.

Looking at the Castellan models you intend to convert also gave me a few more ideas:

- The Castellans have spikey metal armour. You could add some small metal plates(spikey or not) to your IST's armour.
    - The gun conversions I mentioned in my first post would also work here, as the castellans have some nasty looking blades.

A general idea - add some of those arrows you occasionally see on Chaos weapons to the armour/weapons of the ISTs. Much like this guy has on his chest plate, axe head and knife scabbards. I'm unsure if this is the look you are going for, but its just a suggestion.

Hope this helps a little. Sounds like you have a very specific idea of how you would like your army to turn out. Best of luck to you mate!

Cheers,
    Rich

"Praise" for rp252:
    Da Mighty Camel:
    Jaffar_Hasad:
    Behind his ugly bloodthirster face, there's some wisdom stored away for moments like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x2)

I freaking love you

Very good ideas. I'll be sure to post some pics when I'm done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x2)

Ok, need some opinion. For the basic troops Grey Knight equivalents I'm using these (minus the weird flesh spawn things). The dilemma is, do I use these or these for the Termies? Which combinations fit best?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

258 (x5)

I prefer the look of the Heresiarch’s Spawn, I think they would make better terminators. They would definately compliment the ringwriaths, as they have some flowing clothes and you can't see their faces so they do have an "unearthly" quality. IMO they also just look one hell of alot better.

These (and some more here) would also make good termies, as could these.
    This and this could be used as squad sergeants or the like
    These three (One, Two, Three ) look similar to that Inquisitor you painted up with the ringwraiths, might be useful for something

Sorry, went a bit off track there. I think you original idea is a good one, as those models will look very nice as terminators. You won't be able to play them in a GW run tournament, but that isn't really that important at the end of the day.

Cheers,
    Rich

"Praise" for rp252:
    Da Mighty Camel:
    Jaffar_Hasad:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x2)

Yeah, I've thought about all of those, but the problem is they don't have guns, and while I know I won't be playing in any tournaments anyway, I hate to be firing a storm bolter from a model that's clearly holding a big sword wth both hands... I guess I could make something up, because of their being "Condemned", like an equivalent psychic weapon "Fear of the Condemned" or something

+ Reply to Thread