Slann Conversion help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slann Conversion help

This is a question I'm posting as a favor to my friend.Here he is:

Ive played Lizardmen for a half year and until now i havent bought a slann cuz of the dull pose they have. The one on the bookcover is wavin its arms and all, but the model is so bland, so im askin if anyone knows how i can convert a slann to look like the one in the pic. thnks!

Right then...Well, that's that. I believe he means the picture from the Lizardmen army book, which would be here. Thanks from me to anyone who helps him, the man needs a Slann Mage to have a proper army.

Pain is life, while I feel pain I still live, and while I still live I will seek vengance.
    We are few but strong in will
    The last with pagan blood
    We fought the world with burning steel
    Now we sit in Hall of Gods

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think theres a special character Slann mage that looks alot nicer than the regular slann mage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

I think you mean this guy.
    He looks nice, but the problem with the arms is not solved. Basically the Slann looks exactly like the one of the cover. Except the arms!
    He could file away the arms and sculpt some from GS. With the help of some guitar strings as a skeleton and doing it step by step adding some more details each time it should be managable. The lightning in his hands may be done using any little ball (or GS) with some GS added to make it look as if it burned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The now outdated Chaos Trolls have that waving action going on. But i havent seen the models in real life, and do not know if their scale is right. They are altho larger than the regular humanoid creatures.
    I'll go out on a wild goose chase here if you don't mind.
    *Chasing geese*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x4)

Texture the skin. Either warts or scales.
    And over there we have the labyrinth guards.
    One always lies, one always tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions.
    http://xkcd.com/246

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    258 (x5)

My first thought would be to use Venerable Lord Croak, as suggested above. There is a good reason for this, which I’ll detail below.

First thing to do would be to Measure the arms on the model and note down the lengths, you will need this for later.

After measuring them, file off the arms with a rotary tool (you can use a normal file but it would take alot longer and be more difficult). If the tool has an RPM setting then set it to about half speed, this will make the work a little slower, but it will afford you more control. If you have the tool spinning too fast it can jump around, potentially filing away parts of the model you would rather not, or filing away parts of your body you would rather not. At a lower RPM it is less likely to do this. When filing the arms do so slowly and carefully. Don’t file the arms down so they are flat with the surface of the model, rather file them down to around 0.5 mm below the surface. You can fill this trench with green stuff and model it so it matches the surface detail of the Slann

Next step is to drill a hole in each shoulder joint, into which you should place a wire about the length you want the arms to be (you should have gotten a good idea when you measured the original ones earlier). Be sure you add a bit of length to the wire to compensate for the part of it that’s going to be stuck in the hole! Bend this wire in the appropriate places (shoulder, elbow and wrist joints) until you get the pose you want. Voila, skeleton arm at your service.

Before you go onto the next part, consider what you want to do for the hands. If you want to use another metal model's hands then pin them onto the end of the wire now. If you want to make your own out of green stuff then it is likely best you do that after you have green stuffed the arms.

Right, so now you have the arm skeleton its time to start fleshing it out. Here is the reason I suggested Venerable Lord Croak – he is covered in bandage type things making it much easier to build up his arms compared to the other slann. Mix up some green stuff then flatten it out a bit with your fingers and place it between two pre-dampened sheets of cling-film (cellophane wrap, whatever you call it). Get a rolling pin and flatten the green stuff into a nice thin sheet. Leave this to cure for about an hour, then come back and cut it into thin (1-2mm as a suggestion) strips. Peel off the cling-film from a strip then wrap it around the wire of the arm. Keep doing this till the entire arm is covered in bandages. You may need to cover the wire in a bit of green stuff before applying the bandages to bulk out the arm a bit (especially around the elbow area). I would suggest you do a few trail runs on spare bits of wire before going for the real thing so you can get the look you like best. Hopefully once this is done you should have some cool looking Slann arms.

The ball of lightning should be easy to make with green stuff. Just make a ball and let it set. Then add some tendrils of green stuff snaking off the ball and paint it appropriately. That should make you a sweet converted Slann. You could use the normal slann for the above work as well, I just think the green stuff work would be a little more difficult.

Hope I helped mate. Lots of green stuff work, but if you give it a go I think the end result could look very nice indeed. Post pics when you have finished, I would love to see it.

Cheers,
    Rich
    Last edited by rp252; July 18th, 2006 at 12:32.

"Praise" for rp252:
    Da Mighty Camel:
    No, for your information, rp252 is lonely because he is hideous
    Jaffar_Hasad:
    Behind his ugly bloodthirster face, there's some wisdom stored away for moments like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just find a way to convert the old slann model into the new one. The old slann had a raised arm with a scepter in it.

+ Reply to Thread