Chameleoline - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chameleoline

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Chameleoline

Well.. I got a box of the new rangers. They're just lovely models.

But I'm having trouble thinking about how to paint the cloaks. I could do what they've done on the box and use geometric patterns, but I think that's a bit of a cop out since the stuff is supposed to be chameleonic.

So, how would I go about creating the effect of a blurry, colour changing surface.. especially considering that the cloaks are often folded and will thus need to be shaded anyway.

The basing pattern is quite tundra esque.. with rocks and outcrops (made of cork and modelling gravel) with snow patches. So the predominant colours will be white and grey.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Have you thought about the "mottled" look? The Guardians, etc. of Craftworld Alaitoc are painted in mottled blues and the like, in Codex: Craftworld Eldar.

Might be an interesting throw in there for that, making them less geometric and more blurry-esque.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

Use a pointilism approach like stippling.
    Apply the paint in dabs, dots or patches, whichever you feel is the most appropriate.
    Should give a blurred edge look and look very different as well, plus you won't have to sweat doing all that blending
    Coulrophobia - Fear the Clown!

ANZAC clan Inquisitor =]A[=

Quote Originally Posted by A mod
    Killer Clown - Please refrain from the dry, mocking, sarcasm you have so wittingly displayed here
    .....flattery is my Achilles' heal.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x4)

Just an idea which I had, and I must stress that I am not sure it is even feasable, but would using some watered-down Water Effects stuff over a camo pattern work?
    ___
    Greetings from Planet X, I hope you enjoy your day.
    Join us in the Librarium Online Chatroom

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

Maybe try painting the entire base first, then photographing it (for reference purposes).
    Then, attach the ranger, paint all the rest of him(/her) normally, leaving the cloak til last.
    Then, looking carefully at your photos of the base, paint a freehand aproximation of the base onto the cloak, as if it was entirely see-through.
    Kinda like the stealth suit that featured in the July (UK) White Dwarf, but a bit more naturalistic and eldar-y.

Otherwise, you could try painting the entire cloak as if it were a single rock, so maybe use a dark grey basecoat, with some mottling, and layer up highlights getting lighter until you end up with something like the rocks in your basing scheme.

Here is an example, it's a little dark, but hopefully you see what I'm getting at:

I hope those were interesting and/or useful.
    -t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Some exceptionally good ideas. Minus_t, yours in particular is great, but possibly a little beyond my abilities and/or timescale.

I remember I used to paint with ink on thick paper a lot of as a kid, and it occured to me that I could try something similar. Basically, paint the cloak as if it were one pure colour, wash it all over with water then dab some ink on.

Does anyone have experience with that kind of thing?

Otherwise the pointalism/mottled look should be sufficient. It does look good on the Alaitoc stuff.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; July 18th, 2006 at 18:33.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x2)

Well, on one of my Ethereals I accidentally made a really authentic looking blue cloak that shimmered silver in certain light, which was achieved my many layers of drybrushing that failed to do what I was trying to do in the first place o_0

Might try feathering or some such similar technique to blend a bunch of colors together =o
    Gloria Imperator, The Firstborn Stand!
    - 2000pts Inquisition, 2000pts Vostroyans, 3000pts Vampire Counts, 1400pts Daemons, [WIP] 2500pts Death Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

had the same thoughts on the cloaks, so did about 8 layers of green over them to look more chameloline esq, in saim hann colors, but it still ended up looking quite boring as the cloaks take up so much of the models, i ended up adding the patterns on the box at the end and they look alot better for it

i think you'll need some form of patterns on them to take them to a more pro painted level IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine
    If you buy a fire prism you get a complete falcon plus the extra bits required to make ti into a complete waste of space

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not paint the cloak as if it was projecting an image that was behind them? For example, paint the whole cloak the dominant cover of the base, and then use it as though it was a canvas. For example, looking from the front, you get one image, and looking from behind, you get another. Shade the recesses normally.

If you want, I could try on one of my little brother's rangers to show you what I mean.

+ Reply to Thread