Librarium Online Forums banner

How do you convert metal models?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  DarKnife 
#1 ·
How do you guys saw through the pewter? I get pissy when im cutting off little bits to make the guys look better. Or do you order tiny bits from the uk store? What do you do?

DK

#2 ·
DarKnife said:
How do you guys saw through the pewter? I get pissy when im cutting off little bits to make the guys look better. Or do you order tiny bits from the uk store? What do you do?

DK
Metal can be a pain sometimes. To deal with it you will need patience. A hacksaw is a place to start for materials for cutting metal. A small dremel power saw-drill thing can be very handy. Metal is also in my opinion slightly easier to work with when it is warm, that is after it's been in your hands for a little while. It is simply more confortable to handle.

#3 ·
To saw through pewter you need a stationary, level and solid surface on which to steady the model (i.e. a table). Place a cutting mat under the model and attach it to the table with a G-clamp(carefully as to not damage the model or the table). You do not need to secure the model with a G-clamp; I often just hold it down to the table with my hand, but clamping it is better as it provdes a stronger grip and leaves you with an extra hand free.

One you have clamped it, score the model along the line you want to saw, using a knife. This helps to give the saw a guide for the first few strokes, preventing it from jumping around and leaving ugly marks on other parts of the model. For the sawing itself, you can use a hacksaw, but these tend to be far less precise than is ideal for modelling. I would use a Jewelers saw (like this) as these tend to be much more precise. Saw slowely and be patient, especially at first when the saw is more likely to jump around as mentioned above. Do not put lots of pressure on the saw if it gets stuck or isn't cutting fast enough for your likeing - you'll break the blade. If you take your time, getting the cut just right, you will have a much better looking model at the end of the day.

Leech commented on dremel-type power tools. These can be very useful when dealing with metal. They have several attachments which allow you to do a variety of things. They can be difficult to use sometimes, especially for those who have not used them before. Some things to watch out for:

- Accidental slippage. With a fast-spinning rotary tool, it is not uncommon for it to bounce off the surface you are working on and cut other parts of the model/you/family pets etc. A solid grip and careful application can minimise the chances of this happening. If your tool has an RPM counter, set it to about half speed, as this helps reduce the chance of accidents and gives you more control over the tool.
- Gets Hot! Metal model + fast spinning tool = Heat generation. I have burnt myself on a metal model after grinding away some detail. It got so hot it gave me blisters - ouch! It is always advisable to handle the models you have used you power tool on with a piece of cloth/glove etc to avoid similar accidents.

I think the best tip I can give you with metal is be patient. It can be a right pain to work with at first, but if you take your time and be patient, you will teach yourself the best ways in which to handle the substance.

All the best mate.

Cheers,
Rich

#6 ·
Back when I was yer age, we didn't any fancy saws er dremel tools er nothin', we used out bare bands! And a pliars! And a tree! Because we didn't have any sandpaper...

And then I'd have to go carry water back to the house from the river 3 miles away, in my toes! BEcause buckets hadn't been invented yet! And sometimes the river ran dry, so we had to make our own water! Out of dirt! You kids don't understand how hard life can be :yes:

#7 ·
The Salmon Thief said:
Back when I was yer age, we didn't any fancy saws er dremel tools er nothin', we used out bare bands! And a pliars! And a tree! Because we didn't have any sandpaper...

And then I'd have to go carry water back to the house from the river 3 miles away, in my toes! BEcause buckets hadn't been invented yet! And sometimes the river ran dry, so we had to make our own water! Out of dirt! You kids don't understand how hard life can be :yes:
lol. Maybe im missing something...but it says your 14? lol

DK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.