Damn I Love Inks! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inks are just so wonderful, they make things look so much nicer yet the most effort required is in remembering not to shake up the bottle so it doesn't slime you when you put the cap back on when your done.

Black ink on silver.

red, orange, or yellow ink on white.

Red or orange ink on red, STUNNING!

Inks for faces, inks for hair, inks to add that specail something to capes and wraithbone. Inks around the eyes, inks over chainmail and powerarmour joints.

I LOVE INKS!

Anyone got some particularly useful ink and base color combos?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

I actually use flesh ink on the bases of my minis before I add some static grass.

Flesh Ink on sand gives a nice muddy look. Add some grass and you've got a perfect base with minimum effort.

I agree that inks are wonderful!
    "We're the Death Korp of Krieg, son. Did you think that was just a pretty name? We never retreat. We fight and we die, that's the Krieg way."
    -Lieutenant Konarski at the Battle of Erebus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x4)

I use watered down black ink on red (scab red) to create nice looking cloaks and such.
    And i use watered down black ink on almost everything, faces, bolters, skeletons, armor and loads more. But ofcourse other inks are great.

Yes, inks rock.

Your fluffraping hurts my eyes. - TehDarkPredator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still a noob with inks. Using black ink on shadow grey for my pulse rifles for my tau army. Kinda gives it a UMP-45 type finish. The only thing I'm tackling right now is how much ink to have on the brush when you use them. Also, should I just add water right into the ink container since I water it down every time I use it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x4)

Well i just add water into the lid, and paint from there. This way i still have my supah black (when dealing with black ink) ink and i have my watered down ink in the lid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a pretty good idea.

Ya, I'm thinking of undercoating with something a bit more blue. Maybe ultramarine with a something else mixed. Give it more of the UMP look. I'll post a picture for reference if anyone wants to make a suggestion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When starting out with shading techniques, inks are great, but you will realise later inks arent all that good. They make your minis look shiny and the effect is sometimes uncontrollable. I hardly use inks anymore, only in very diluted form I sill use them (and when I need something to look shiny ).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x4)

Yes, i hate the shiny look, but thats why i use watered down inks.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

I often use ink in order to paint the base color, two layers of blue ink on white primer are usually better than painting it with regal blue "the normal way". It's a very even and regular coat (without these spots where normal paint sometimes is visibly thicker than on other parts), and that shine mostly disappears when i varnish them. On a clean blue a slight shine isn't that bad anyway, it can look pretty cool. With this shine you also can achieve a metallic effect, e.g. if you apply purple ink on white primer then the result looks like a strange shiny purple metal (that might be useful in order to paint the Deceiver, yellow ink...).

Inks are also essential in order to paint power weapons or marble effects.

jwu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I noticed the shinny redness when i red inked something, but doing red ink over blood red gives it more depth, and i believe it does not shine so much when varnished, as mentioned.

Actually, aside from red ornage and yellow (the only GW inks i have), i make all my own inks from scrath in plastic condiments containers that i swipe from McDonalds when no one is looking (great for mixing paints&#33. For me the only reaql problem with that is that sometimes i get the water to paint ratio off (i usually wing it since i don't care i enough to remember it or write it down) and thats sometimes messy, but its almost never shinny when i do it that way.

Also, my inks almost never shine, unless i use both a GW paint and a GW ink, and since i'm not a fan of GW paints OR inks in general thats rearely an issue.

and chesnut wash for faces is great, depending on how many coats/how heavy you ink it, a "banana" color for the base with various coats of chesnut can give you all variety of skin tones almost, whch is great since my army is multy ethnic and proud of it

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast