Welcome to Librarium Online!
I was just updating my Sons of Dorn Blog and thought I would share my WIP of the armor and talk a bit about the many steps I go through to get it to look "dirty" :wacko:
I have refined a little bit the many steps I have gone through to get to the end the biggest being that I prime them white and then spray on a base coat of GW bone. this saves a ton of time. To get the dirty rust effects I have found that the GW ink bleeds through the paint layer above it a little bit even after it has dried (it re-activates) which allows you to drag it with the brush a bit and create long "rust lines".
At any rate here are a few pictures and some descriptions of each step.
Applying the Chestnut Ink
I use GW chestnut ink for the darkest of the rust areas. I apply it randomly over the model. No real magical secret here. Mostly near joints, or where other pieces of armor are.
Applying the Flesh Ink
Next I overlay flesh ink to the areas where I applied the chestnut ink. This is to soften the harshness of the chestnut ink. Again not too concerned about neatness at this stage as the next 2 steps will clean the figure up.
I take Vallejo bone and go over most of the area pulling in the direction I want the ink to streak. The wet paint re-activates the ink and causes it to bleed through a bit. It is much softer than the ink alone and I find it to be very interesting.
For the 2nd highlight I mix 50/50 vallejo bone and Ivory. I then go over the previous layer being careful to leave exposed a lot of the rust bleed from the previous layer. I clean it up as I can. The key is the keep the paint fairly watery so that it goes down semi-translucent.
That is pretty much how I paint the armor. Before doing the spray I was adding a few extra steps so this cut down time fairly significantly. I think in the future I will also cut out doing the smoke in all of the armor details until after I highlight as I have had to go back and re-do most of it anyway.
To finish it up I would like I said just put some watered down vallejo smoke into all the armor recesses, darkline around the iconography and any areas where it transitions to another color - ie. the metal around the boots, etc., finish up any detail bits, and add black to the webbing between the armor joints!
These pictures and more can be found on my Sons of Dorn Blog (see link below) and I hope to have these guys (2 tactical squads) up in about a week. Just thought I would share how I did the armor.
Comments, critiques, suggestions, rants, and raves are as always appreciated!
I really like the effect of the washes to make the worn look on the marines its really effective. I love the colour scheme as well, awesome painting too I wish I could paint that good
Thanks! Really though it isn't super hard to do just time consuming. Like I said I have been doing a lot of experimenting between the command squad I did, the terminators, and now the tactical marines to try to cut out a few steps and still get the same effect!
I appreciate the kind words!
Nice work. Really intresting colour-scheme.
Looking forward to see more of them so I will keep a close eye on your blog.
EDIT: Just remembered, that command squad of yours was in the squad-competition, right? I think I voted for them. :shifty:
Keep up the good work.
@Da Mighty Camel: Yes I entered the command squad in the painting contest! I should have a starter list up on the blog soon... Can't wait to play a game!
At any rate here are some more wip shots. They are very nearly done. Just some weathering and small details plus the decals. Let me know what you think!
Love them !!
Your commander ( iassume) with the power sword is just gorgeous!!:cry:
Not an overy big fan of the cheker pattern on the chain sword normally, but it looks really good with you scheme!!!
What's the colour on the shoulder pads ? looks like straight tinbitz, but that might just be the pics. Also the bases really finsh in tying the squads together. Nicely done:yes:
98% of the teen population has smoked weed, if you are the 2% that hasn't, and blindly believe everything you read on the net, then put this in your signature.
PS - i AM the Green Lantern
Yes the shoulderpads are currently tin bitz. They are going to get a 50/50 mix of tin bits/boltgun mix to soften them somewhat.Originally Posted by D4RKN3SS
I really had fun with these bases. They took a long time to plan out. I used cork, the new Urban Basing kits, and some random bits from the new buildings.
How did I miss this topic?
Its a great run through man, very informative. Can't wait to see the whole army painted up because if the command squad is anything to go by this is going to be a gorgerous army.
You realise you are going to have to do a walk through on the bases, because they are amazing. I am very impressed with the whole thing.
Do I see the outline of assualt marines in the backround?
My Blog: http://thepaintingpauper.blogspot.com
CMoN Gallery: http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/paintingpauper
You know I came across this by accident. I originally wasn't planning on it but found that when I was "tidying" up the figure a bit that the paint layer "reactivated" the ink and it bled through much softer than the ink by itself. I really liked this look so there you go!Originally Posted by Gareth
Actually when it is all done I go back and ad a bit more just to a few areas but overall I like the effect - it just takes forever!
@Chemical Caveman: Yes those are assault marines in the background though they are not mine. While I am finishing up my guys I am painting up a squad of Death Company Blood Angels for the same client I have been painting all the blood angels. I just started them so nothing really to see yet.