repainting models - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

repainting models

I am looking to by a Wh army from a friend but it is this purple color and the sisters hair looks bad and I was wondering could it be repainted. With the paint on or is there a way to remove the paint.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the figure is all metal then its fine. Plastic, you're screwed. I soak my figures overnight in automotive paint thinner (been using gun wash lately as it has a mild paint stripper in it) then go over it with a nail brush. Toothbrushes work well but the thinners melts the bristles and they fall apart after a few minutes. I also use a short, thick bristled paintbrush & toothpicks to pick told paint out of the detail areas. Depending on the paint it can take 2 or 3 treatments. Fill the sink with hot soapy water then once the paint is off, drop them in and let soak for a few minutes. Pull the figs out of the sink then scrub them again with the nail brush. All done !
    Whatever you do, never ever EVER use anything metal on the figs like wire or a knife to scrape out the paint as it will scar the figure. Toothpicks only.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of them are plastic but could I paint over the hair. I don't mind the model paint scheme I can live with it but purple armor with blonde and black hair I just don't like it so could I paint over that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

If the paint isn't too thick you should be ok. If it is a dark color maybe go over it with a light coating of white first. If you keep your paints thin you should be fine.

However if the paint was applied thick to begin with you could lose some details.

Best thing to do is give it a try and see if you like it. If not you can always look into stripping. Just do a search for stripping and I am sure you will find a lot of information - that topic has been done to death!

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x4)

All Sisters of Battle models are metal. Nail polish remover on a cotton wool should be good enough to remove just the paint on the head.
    And over there we have the labyrinth guards.
    One always lies, one always tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions.
    http://xkcd.com/246

Has a monkey! Imperialis_Dominatus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by slorak
    Just do a search for stripping and I am sure you will find a lot of information - that topic has been done to death!
    I think this is the best advice and should have been said first. I got my head bitten off when I asked about paint stripping...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Super Clean (used to be Castrol Super Clean) is available in gallon jugs. This purple stuff is great with plastics. I dropped my old 'stealers into it, let it soak a bit and rub with a toothbrush, stuff comes off very well and I have seen no damage to the plastic, I also placed some 2nd edition plastic marines in there to test different materials.

Only other advice, use Vinyl gloves, they feel better than latex and will protect your skin from turning to sandpaper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i use break fluid. easy enough to get, safe enough to handle (just wash ur hands when ur done) as as long as ur near an open window or something the fumes shouldnt anoy you. plus you can leave em in the break fluid for like, ever, and it wont damage the plastic as far as i can tell. ive had some plastic models is break fluid for like a month, some even more than that and theres no damage. works on metal too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x2)

Get yourself some Castrol Super Clean, throw the models in overnight, get a toothbrush and scrub the paint off, glue the parts that fall off back on (if any), and repaint! Did this with an entire Tau army, works well.
    Gloria Imperator, The Firstborn Stand!
    - 2000pts Inquisition, 2000pts Vostroyans, 3000pts Vampire Counts, 1400pts Daemons, [WIP] 2500pts Death Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need something that can sink into recesses and stuff like that... want to repaint my newbie IG's that have two litres of paint in their face ^^

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast