Adding water to paint - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x3)

Adding water to paint

How mcuh water do you add to gamesworkshop cans of paint or bottles what ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit
    Geez, toon, your avatar changes more than Bill Clinton's campaign platform.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

First off it is helpful to do a search on your topic before posting as this topic was just discussed.

I would recommend against putting water directly into the pots. You always want to mix the water into the paint on a pallete. Different paints tend to have different consistancies so I would suggest adding a little at a time until you are comfortable with it. You are aiming for a thickness like a heavy cream.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x4)

Putting water directly into the pots - while it might not be "how pros do it" - should be done _very_carefully_. One-two drops at a time.

well, unless your paint is on the verge of drying ou...
    Uh-oh. Gotta check my paints on that. Later, dudes...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

Like slorak said, it is advisable to pick up a pallete. These can be gotten very cheaply at any local hobby store. The one I am using cost 59cent.

I have gotten a small bottle of distilled water (working in a lab has its advantages) and use a syringe to place a drop of water on the pallete. Add paint until you are happy with the consistancy. Its very much trial and error. Practice will make perfect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Convention is that there are three ways to mix paint with water, personaly i dot it at about 2 parts paint to one part water but may add more water depending on how I am blending.
    Methods:

1. use a mixer pot to hold some of the diluted paint

2. use a pallet as above to mix on demand

3. use a wet pallet
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

425 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by the_fifth_horseman
    Putting water directly into the pots - while it might not be "how pros do it" - should be done _very_carefully_. One-two drops at a time.

well, unless your paint is on the verge of drying ou...
    Uh-oh. Gotta check my paints on that. Later, dudes...
    Nothing pro about it. If you over-dillute your pots you run the risk of thinning out the pigments too much which could end up ruining the whole pot. Mix water into your pots at your own risk.

If anything - if the paints are drying out you are better off mixing an acrylic medium into it rather than water.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

kinkeh secks pl0x?! Brother Tiberius's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x2)

when it comes to palettes!

i use 2 seperate normal Wall tiles that my dad didnt want to use!

1 for mettallic paints and 1 for normals

and also 2 seperate water cups that can be bought from pound stretchers or any cheapy corner shop for a litlle under 2 quid (english sterling)

like the others said! it is very much advisable to mix your paints on a pallete what i tend to do is:

3 nice dollops (hehe dolleps) of paint and then add 1 of water till you get a consistency you are pleased with. i generally go till it looks like a thick cream and apply it to a tester marine i have (i got 1 marine primed black that looks like a rainbow from all the testing etc)

then you should be set. :yes:
    My homage to my time spent at Libararium Online:
    Crimson Fists
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ml#post1658499

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x2)

Everyone seems to suggest the consistency of milk, or cream, or something like that. I keep meaning to buy a little cream just to try and brush it around a bit... I really can't say that the reference point means anything to me.

Another reference point that I've come across is that you want it as thin as you can get it and still control it well. You also want it to be thick enough to get decent coverage, but if you can control it (and keep it from pooling after you brush it on) you're probably thick enough.
    You play your game, I'll play mine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

425 (x8)

Ok - here is a descriptor that should help a bit more. Ideally what you want is to thin the paint enough to where you stick the tip of the brush in the paint it doesn't run off back into your paint. The qualifier here is that you don't want it straight out of the pot but mixed with water, etender, whatever.

The trick is to find that area where you are running a thin line between too thin (paint drips off brush back into paint) and just right. That is where the real "Zen" of the matter comes into play.

cheers,

-Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x3)

How will I measrue the water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit
    Geez, toon, your avatar changes more than Bill Clinton's campaign platform.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast