Power/Force weapons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

Power/Force weapons

Hi everyone,

I was hoping i could get some basic technique outlines for painting power and force weapons.

I really want to try for the whole electric, crackling energy, blue, green, watever look. I'm sure you all know what i'm talking about. The problem being that i have no idea how to go about it,

Regards

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

OK regardless of colour, generally they are highlighted using atleast drybrushhing but more commonly dry blending or layering, with the lighter shades towards the end of the blade to represent external or internal light sources.

For power crackling or lightening effects this tends to be hand painted, in the best cases in several layers using lighter and lighter colours and less and less coverage
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lighting/crackling effects can be gained a fairly simple way.
    First paint the weapon in the base colour you want, eg blue, purple, green or red being the most common.
    Then paint on the lightning effect in white. Once dry, paint a lighter version of the base colour in the white lines, leaving some of the white around the edges. The neater this is done the better the look.
    Once that is done, wash the whole weapon in the base colour with a watered down version (using some flow improved else the effect goes patchy). This then taints the white into the main weapon colour and helps merge the base, white and lighter shade of base into one.
    You can then do some slight edge highlights in the lighter shade near the tips of the weapon.
    This is a fairly simple way of gaining the effect you might be after, and is pretty quick. If you want a more professional look, do the same but blend the white up to the highlight colour. Very tricky, lots of patience and good ability to hold your hand steady.
    Again the final way for no lightning, is as mentioned and blend from dark to light to the tip of the weapon (or where the imaginary light sorce is located) A wet blend is best for this using a wet palette where possible.
    The other most tricky technique is the NMM method. Something I am yet to master, but does have a really amazing look. You dont even need ot use metallic looking colours (ie to do silvery metal, use grey, black and white), it works really well with blue or any colour mentioned above.

Hunched Over My Workbench, furiously painting away.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

http://www.minivault.com/RecipeBook.htm

about 3/4 of the way down the page. And you've got your choice of colour too
    Baby, when I'm the voice of reason, we've got problems!
    ~artificer

Someone should stop
    Jervis "let's make it easy enough for a 3 year old to play" Johnson
    before he turns 40k into checkers

~anon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just out of curiosity, what are VMC paints? Just a different brand?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Tsaketh
    Just out of curiosity, what are VMC paints? Just a different brand?
    They are made by Vallejo if i'm not mistaken.

To paint the lightning like mine start with a general outline of enchanted blue, then paint a thinner line inside of it with ice blue so that the enchanted blue shows through on the side. finnaly pick out the edges ouf the lightning with white.
    Xbox Gamertag: x Helbrecht x

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if want this or not but maybe you can green stuff lighting surrounding the sword and paint it blue-ish. tried it before but didn't work for me, but maybe you can pull something off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

well i'd say a light drybrush to highlight, then standard lightning highlights in the center.

im going to do that with black swords and white lightning on my Gk's, and i think it'll look pretty good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Quan shi
    I don't know if want this or not but maybe you can green stuff lighting surrounding the sword and paint it blue-ish. tried it before but didn't work for me, but maybe you can pull something off.
    Sounds as an interesting as well as a challeging idea. Making this I belive you should watch itand not overdo the whole lightning stuff. Having lightning threads going everywhere from a weapon will more likely make it look as a plagued chaos weapon than a force-ish one.

Making the forks few and not ending in thin air, but instead connecting with closest object within reach (just as lightning works IRL) would make it look the best.

Painting it would thou be troublesome, regarding lightning (atleast from the pics I´ve seen, haven´t checked them out that very close in real life...) is about white in the centre and getting stronger blue going outwards. In a 2D pick this is a easy task, but making look good in 3D from all angles would be hard.

So lets picture a power sword held above ground with one of those lightnings lashing out at the ground verticaly just like a capital "I". Painting the bottom and "roof" darker and then have the thin part stretching between coloured white would looks the best according to me. To make it look like it really is a lightflash and not some kind of lashing C´than weapon we´re talking about you should probably try make some reflecting light on the ground and anything close enough around.

I haven´t tried, so if anyone have or could help me (since I consider this a very interesting question), please do so.

+ Reply to Thread