Matte Varnish = Ew? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Baltimore, MD
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

8 (x1)

Matte Varnish = Ew?

Okay, I finished my first Chaos Warriors the other day, and I threw on some matte varnish as suggested by the GW guys. It looks awful. All the brightness is gone from the model and everything looks faded.

Is this normal...and if so, do I need to use it?

Mongol General: Conan, what is best in life?
    Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!

2. Remove Advertisements

Long Beach, CA
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

425 (x8)

Matte varnish is designed to cut the reflection on an object. So yes it will "dull" it.

If you really want it bright and shiny you might want to look for a gloss varnish. Otherwise another alternative would be to highlight the figure more. It shouldn't destroy your highlights though.

You really should use some form of varnish otherwise you are more apt to rub the paint off the figures while in heavy use.

I usually first spray the figures with a coat or 2 of Krylon Crystal Clear non yellowing varnish and then follow this up with a few coats of testor's dullcote to get rid of any shine.

If you then have an area that you do want glossy you could always go back and brush on a gloss varnish.

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

+ Reply to Thread