Sons of Dorn - 2 Tactical Squads [PIC HEAVY] - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Sons of Dorn - 2 Tactical Squads [PIC HEAVY]

Ok - Finally finished my two tactical squads. I didn't quite have my usual picture set up so pictures are a tad dark but not too bad.

Painting wise here is a brief outline. Please don't hesitate to ask me to elaborate on anything. Base coat of bone spray. Chestnut and flesh ink to create "soft rust spots" on the armor usually around joints etc. Next I take bone white and brush it on in the direction I want the rust to bleed through, this is followed by a 50/50 mix of bone and ivory paint.

Chest eagles, trim, etc are done with boltgun metal. Shoulderpads, helmet, backpack are done with a base of beasty brown, then tin, followed by a 50/50 mix of tin and boltgun metal.

Check pattern was drawn on with a micron pigma pen .005 black.

Bases were created and painted before the marines and they were pinned in place. The bases consisted of cork tile, small and large slate from the urban basing kits, and in some of them bits of the Imperial city buildings, pasticard, and razor wire.

Overall this seems to have been a huge project to paint at once (trying to get a playable force! I think it took me about 2 months of painting on and off and hour or three at night. I think it took the longest deciding on how I wanted the bases to look.

Comments, critiques, or anything is very welcome. Hope you enjoy. This has definitely been a labor of love!

Here are some of the highlights!

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Well Done. They look quite good. Is that the GW urban basing stuff that is on the base?

Nice battle damage, characterful poses, detail on the auspex and a nice sword.

rep for u

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Deek
    Well Done. They look quite good. Is that the GW urban basing stuff that is on the base?

Nice battle damage, characterful poses, detail on the auspex and a nice sword.

rep for u
    The small and large slate and the razor wire is from the GW Urban Basing Kit. The bitz of oxidized eagle and the stone building piece are from part of one of the new buildings. I also used cork tile.

Cheers!

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x2)

Very nice. I love the bases and the color... your usual awesome work XD

What is your usual picture set up? Even these pics are better than I can do ;_;
    Gloria Imperator, The Firstborn Stand!
    - 2000pts Inquisition, 2000pts Vostroyans, 3000pts Vampire Counts, 1400pts Daemons, [WIP] 2500pts Death Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

425 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The Salmon Thief
    Very nice. I love the bases and the color... your usual awesome work XD

What is your usual picture set up? Even these pics are better than I can do ;_;
    In my game room I have a larger overhead light and I use 2 100W shop lights. Since it has been too hot to go out there lately I have been painting inside the house. I was able to get the shop lights in but not in the best positioning and the overhead light wasn't as good. So the pictures are a little bit darker than I like especially on one side.

I am thinking about getting a 3rd 100W shop light so that I can ideally have one overhead, one slightly behind and to the side and the other slighty forward and over to the other side. I want to get rid of all the shadow.

Cheers,

-Mike

The most glorious rainbow ever, Pleasuretown.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    67 (x3)

Wow, those are fantastic. I absolutley LOVE the battle damage and rust effects, those are simply amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett on Quidditch
    I couldn't help but imagine some poor guy looking up to find a Badger hurtling towards him, about to wrap itself around his skull.
    [ 1500pt. Chaos List, C&C! ]
    -=W: 2 -D: 0- L: 3=-

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

Very, very nice.
    The armour looks fantastic over such large numbers, it really works.

My only criticism would be of the flesh, it looks like it could use a bit more definition and shading, it seems to be a little flat, and, to some extent, blends into the armour.

But really good, I always try and make some kind of comment or suggestion, so that was it :tongue:

How much of the army have you done so far?
    Command squad, 2x Tactical squads, Terminator squad... Anything else?

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

425 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by minus_t
    Very, very nice.
    The armour looks fantastic over such large numbers, it really works.

My only criticism would be of the flesh, it looks like it could use a bit more definition and shading, it seems to be a little flat, and, to some extent, blends into the armour.

But really good, I always try and make some kind of comment or suggestion, so that was it :tongue:

How much of the army have you done so far?
    Command squad, 2x Tactical squads, Terminator squad... Anything else?

-t.
    I think the flesh was washed out a bit because of the lighting. I did add several layers to the face and I tried to make all the exposed heads a little bit different in shading. I agree that they look a bit smoother than they could. Maybe if I am inclined later I might go back and touch up a bit. I was getting kind of burnt out on painting 20 guys at once!

I have done exactly what you listed! :w00t: Up next for them will be a Rhino and 10 Assault Marines. After that I am all out of Space Marine stuff so until I can afford to get more...

Thanks again for your comments. I really appreciate them. Keep em coming!

Cheers,

-Mike
    Last edited by slorak; August 11th, 2006 at 18:39.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

Easily one of the best painted gaming armies I have seen Slorak. I feel sorry for you guys in hot climates, the temp's here very rarely go over 25c even in summer.

One question though, how did you do the white troop arrows on the shoulder pads, is it freehand? Are the chapter symbols tranfers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

425 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by chemicalcaveman
    Easily one of the best painted gaming armies I have seen Slorak. I feel sorry for you guys in hot climates, the temp's here very rarely go over 25c even in summer.

One question though, how did you do the white troop arrows on the shoulder pads, is it freehand? Are the chapter symbols tranfers?
    I really appreciate that! Actually it doesn't usually get that hot here as we are very close to the coast - but the last few weeks we have been having a heat wave. It has started to cool off - but my gaming/painting room is built in the garage so there is not air conditioning and even with the whole house fan and ceiling fan I have out there - the heat traps in enough to where it is uncomfortable to be out there for so long.

As for the small arrows - they came from the battle for macragge boxed set. For some reason I really liked them and ended up trading a few people for some extra sheets as I found that you couldn't order them separately from GW

Thanks again!

Cheers,

-Mike
    Last edited by slorak; August 11th, 2006 at 18:40.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast