Snow Board Tips and Hints? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Snow Board Tips and Hints?

Terrain not Sport obviously.

But anyway now that my brother plays 40k its about time I built a board to play on with some terrain. Its getting really tiresome building terrain out of lego every time.

So since all my models are based on snow and I have no idea on how to make an ice board I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to make a board covered in snow. Do I just paint it white or cover it with sand painted white or what?

Any help would be appreciated, how to make wargames terrain was bloody useless.

Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first get a table and build the ground: hills, flat land, and rivers. Then paint everything white,grey,blueish, and those snowy wintery tones. Use the water effect stuff from GW to make the rivers. Im guessing if you have bluish white land under the river, it will look like ice, and its definitely frozen like ice. You can also pour water effect in various places to make frozen puddles and ice. Next, you can use the snow base on it. If you like forests, you can make trees with snow on them..(no leaves of course). And then you can finish it off with rocks, fences, broken stuff lying on the ground, or anything you want.
    Last edited by Loren Lord; August 9th, 2006 at 14:13.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x3)

Make a board, do it in muddy rocky browns and whatnot. Then go buy about 2 giant bottles of elmers glue, and a big thing of baking soda, get a mixing stick or something along those lines. Find a suitable bowl for mixing, pour in a bottle of elmers, and then pour in about 1/5-1/4 of bakeing soda compared to the glue. Mix that sucker all around til you get a pasty type mixture almost like a gritty toothpaste, add glue or backing sode as you see fit doesnt have to be exact. Add a couple sploshes of a white paint in there too cause when it dries you risk it turning a slight tinge of yellow. Then take your mixing stick and start applying it to your bare board. Leave alot of places in recesses, youll find that you can "work with the snow alot and make banks and foot tracks. Though i would caution that you make sure you get the snow as flat as possible (you dont want a rough un even ground for your minis to walk on) Just apply a thin layer of the paste till you got the board covered in a suitable fashion. You got a few hours to work with it so no rush. Then take your backing soda and sprinkle all over the top of the snow and powder the top. Let dry a day two would be best, and then you can take a a fan or something that blows (not hot air) and just dust the excess powder off the top. It is thus far the most realistic snow i have found, its dirt cheap easy to make and apply. You could even put it on the arms of tree branches if ya wanted.

Joe Peshi (lone wolf) kill tally:Lash Sorcerer, Ghazkull, Yriel, Termi Libby, Vulkan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

It really depends on the overall look that you want for the board.

Probably the easiest way would be to go for a "stylized" ice/snow board. Basically take the foamboard and paint it white and give it a very very watered down blue ink wash to where there is just a hint of blue. If need be go back over it with white to tone this down even further. You can really accentuate the ice features by cutting in sharp exaggerated ridges on to the edges of the foam.

Otherwise the other route is basically as described above. Baking soda, you could also get the woodland scenics snow (comes in a large container), techstar snowflakes (my personal favorite). They all mix up pretty much the same. The snow, white glue, and a little water to a thick paste. Spread it on with a spatula, putty knife or something similar.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x2)

The spreading a thick snowy paste is a brilliant idea, and has just solved all my problems for my board's desert looking rather unrealistic... except white glue is white :wacko:

Well, that idea is highly recommended, as it is good for making somewhat textured snowdrifts, as well as sand dunes and the like... thanks Slorak
    Gloria Imperator, The Firstborn Stand!
    - 2000pts Inquisition, 2000pts Vostroyans, 3000pts Vampire Counts, 1400pts Daemons, [WIP] 2500pts Death Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

White glue should for the most part dry clear. Besides it is always paintable!

Other good things to use for texture - Drywall compound (you can get the really light stuff), Wood filler, cement crack filler (though that is the heaviest).

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x3)

Aye white glue is white, but when you have white glue dry a yellow tint on 40 painted vostroyans that = cursing. I am just saying, my past exp. has had a bad outcome without that pre-cuationary splash of white paint into the mix. Maybe it was just some bad glue...i dont know. Any way good luck, bet it will look killer, i wanna see pics when it is done :yes:

Joe Peshi (lone wolf) kill tally:Lash Sorcerer, Ghazkull, Yriel, Termi Libby, Vulkan.

+ Reply to Thread