Measuring Paint - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Measuring Paint

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Measuring Paint

What method do you guys use to measure the amount of paint you put on your pallete? My measurements always seem imprecise. I use a heavy tank brush to measure my paint, and a small eyedropper to measure the water I add. Up until now I thought they were about equal in how much they picked up, but I'm beggining to have doubts. Thanks much!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

I use the vallejo paints that come in a dropper bottle. This makes an excellent way to measure paint. If you were inclined you can get emtpy dropper bottles which would make paint formulation much easier.

Aside from that I would suggest probably using the same sized brush to measure everything. Using one sized brush for the paint and then a dropper bottle for the water sounds like you could be getting a different ratio of paint to water. Thin paint is good but you don't want to thin it too much. Having the same sized brush for everything should equalize it a bit more.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

everything i use for mixtures is measured in "dips". Dips basically are putting the paintbrush in the paint and loading it up into a glob. the trick for maintaining consistancy is using the same size glob each time.For a skin ill use three dips of the paintbrush in dark flesh, mixed with one dip of scortched brown for a basecoat. for adding water i just drop a paintbrush in clean water, brush it against the side of the mug, and thats a good amount of water i find for thinning the paint for good consistancy. Also, always use the same size brush for adding water/getting paint for the dipping method.
    "This sure ain't no pansy Eldar Armor, Son"
    185th Cadian Armored Div.

"One Shot, One Kill"
    Western Border Patrol of Athel Loren

searching for sheep silentdeathz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by slorak
    I use the vallejo paints that come in a dropper bottle. This makes an excellent way to measure paint. If you were inclined you can get emtpy dropper bottles which would make paint formulation much easier.

Aside from that I would suggest probably using the same sized brush to measure everything. Using one sized brush for the paint and then a dropper bottle for the water sounds like you could be getting a different ratio of paint to water. Thin paint is good but you don't want to thin it too much. Having the same sized brush for everything should equalize it a bit more.

Cheers,

-Mike
    Sorry for jacking the topic, but are these available in the UK (do you know) ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)
    AGLOCO - Earn money by browsing the internet!

Quote Originally Posted by Krevzi and Me
    Warhammer is like crack. But more expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Learn parasite, that us Chaos players like to have our cake and eat it. In fact, we particularly like stealing the poor necrons' cake and eating that too, because they're too slow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with Slorak, here.

First choice is to use Vallejo paints. They have HUGE line... they even have a line that mimics GW colors & names, if it matters to you.

I, simply, mix mine by drops... It's nearly fool proof... as long as you make sure not to squeeze too hard & send a jet of paint onto your pallette.

Prior to that, I would dop the END of my paint brush in a color... as long as you aleasy dip it in each color the same depth, you'll get, pretty much, the same mix.

I would suggest getting a number of empty squeeze bottles by vallejo (or something similar) and putting your paint in those (labels would be important, in this case <G>).

Where water is concerned... I still use the "end of the brush" method and, I admit, it differs each time, depending on how thin I want my paint. There's really no need to use much water, at all, with vallejo paints.

Eric
    Blue Table Painting
    --Miniatures painting service. High quality, good prices, and quick turnaround.
    www.bluetablepainting.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

I've tried searching for some blank dipper bottles, but can't find any. I'm in the UK. I know there was a website, something like www.cablab.com (definitely www.***lab.com, probably www.c**lab.com, maybe a dash (-) between the first word and "lab").
    Anyone know what it is, or any alternatives?
    AGLOCO - Earn money by browsing the internet!

Quote Originally Posted by Krevzi and Me
    Warhammer is like crack. But more expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Learn parasite, that us Chaos players like to have our cake and eat it. In fact, we particularly like stealing the poor necrons' cake and eating that too, because they're too slow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

do a search for boston rounds eyedropper bottles and I am sure you will find something you are looking for.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x2)

I tend to use a toothpick out of the top (cap) of the GW bottles.. 4 good toothpicks worth is generally enough for one drop (from a pharmacy eyedropper) of thinner. I use 2/3 water 1/3 retardent.

Also something to consider is what kind of pallette you use, and how long you expect to be using that paint... i use a wet pallette, so it doesn't dry out as fast.

Whatever method you choose, you'll end up getting the proportions right by trial and error

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

I tend to work in brush-head blobs. 1 blob of each paint in a 50:50 mix. This won't help you much but I judge water mixing by eye. It's a practice thing.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

+ Reply to Thread