need advice on painting tanks - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

need advice on painting tanks

I'm in the process of starting to put together a nurgle themed traitor IG army. I'll be using the normal IG force rules, but it will be a traitor unit. I admit I'm not the best painter in the world. I would like my vechiles to have a "rusted" look to them. I saw this picture in the gallery.

http://www.librarium-online.com/gall...hp?i=4295&c=30

That is the look I'm going for. Any advice on how a novice like me could go about achiving that metallic rusted kind of look? Someone mentioned to me that that person more then likely airbrushed that. I don't have a air brush, or the funds to really go out and buy one either.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xcom
    I'm in the process of starting to put together a nurgle themed traitor IG army. I'll be using the normal IG force rules, but it will be a traitor unit. I admit I'm not the best painter in the world. I would like my vechiles to have a "rusted" look to them. I saw this picture in the gallery.

http://www.librarium-online.com/gall...hp?i=4295&c=30

That is the look I'm going for. Any advice on how a novice like me could go about achiving that metallic rusted kind of look? Someone mentioned to me that that person more then likely airbrushed that. I don't have a air brush, or the funds to really go out and buy one either.
    most of that looks like it's done with a little natural sponge, and not an airbrush. Paint a darker grey brown, lighten/redden it slightly and dab that on around the edges of panels with the sponge. Of course the more layers the better, and of course a nice, heavy, greasy wash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for that advice. Can anyone point me out towards any helpful website that gives pointers towards painting vechiles? Hopefully websites that are picture heavy so novices like me have some visuals references.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a tutorial on the sponge metals technique from Brushthralls. That'll get you the aged, rusty look you're after, I think.

http://www.brushthralls.com/SpongedMetal/

Senior Member Badruk the Mighty's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GW has a handy painting guide showing how to do different camo schemes and environmental effects.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/imperialguard/tank-camo/1/
    If you drop a shell on your foot an it don't urt, your shoota aint big enough!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

If I were you, I would PM Andusciassus, the guy who painted the chimera you mention.
    Or simply post a reply to that image, that should send him an email letting him know you're interested.

I'm not entirely certain that this is how he goes about it, but I would guess he simply uses drybrushing and inking to get that effect.

Paint the tank your base colour, then get a big, coarse brush (the GW flat dry-brush would be perfect) and drybrush a series of highlights until it looks nice and natural.
    Then, drybrush metallics over the areas you want to look rusty.
    Ink over the whole thing with browns, reds and/or greens, to get that rusty, putrid look.
    Finally, think about doing a bit more drybrushing in metallics.

Basically, if the thing looks too bright and shiny at any point, just whack a wash of ink or two over the area.
    If you use very very heavily watered down paint instead of ink, you will get a duller, more 'lumpy' appearance, which might be better for you

-t.
    Last edited by minus_t; August 30th, 2006 at 02:15.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

+ Reply to Thread