Help with snow bases - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with snow bases

Ive recently started into 40k after playing fantasty for several several years. I now have about 600 points of what i intend to use as iron warriors assimbled and now starting to paoint them.

thing is ive always liked the idea of having a snow army, fighting in snow and all that stuff. problem is i have no idea how to achieve that affect.

first thing is the obvious, whats the best way to make a snow base? ive seen the snow flock type stuff GW has, but i dont know... it just doesnt look right to me. has anyone used that?

and second, is there any way to give a snow or frosted effect to some of my guys? so that they match the theme?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Without a doubt the best snow I have ever used is Techstar Snowflakes. It is a microbead powder that you mix with glue and water into a paste. Very realistic white snow. sprinkle on a bit of the snowflakes on top of the wet mixture and you will get a powder look.

I can't say enough good things about them. The one downside is that it is not the easiest product to get a hold of. I get mine through www.brookhursthobbies.com but otherwise you would probably have to do a search.

Here are some of my favorite examples:

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

I love this particular guide. Fast, easy and gives really nice results!
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/322

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

The baking soda to me dries looking rather rough and a bit unrealistic. I guess if you have some laying around your house it is good but if you are looking for really nice snow like I said of all the snow methods I have tried the techstar came out looking the most realistic.

I have heard somewhere that Hudson and Allen (I think that is the name) makes a snow equivalent to the techstar. That might be comprable but I haven't tried it. Just for an idea of cost - I got a bag of the techstar snowflakes for about $6 and have covered several dozen bases as well as a mini diorama board (used quite a bit there) and still have some left over. It should be enough to cover at least 1 army.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by slorak
    The baking soda to me dries looking rather rough and a bit unrealistic. I guess if you have some laying around your house it is good but if you are looking for really nice snow like I said of all the snow methods I have tried the techstar came out looking the most realistic.
    Really? Weird. Mine dries perfect with a real nice look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

425 (x8)

Of the stuff I have tried that is my opinion. The baking soda isn't bad and if you have some at home all the better. I have tried the woodland scenic snow and found it looks slushy. Good for a specific look but in general not too great. My best results by far were with the techstar snowflakes. It is a much finer micro-balloon than the granules you will find with baking soda - hence the smoother appearance of it.

Really depends on what you are going for. In my opinion the techstar give a much more realistic snow look. If you don't want to spend time locating it or spend the little bit more for it than you would on a box of baking soda - then I say go for the baking soda...

My vote is still 100% Techstar (though like I said the Hudson and Allan snow is reportedly just as good!).

Cheers,

-Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've tried to get some good snow bases myself, and whilst I've never used any thing other games workshop snow I do have a visual suggestion.
    I had been trying to make some snowy bret bases and something wasn't right. i was mixing white paint with pva to glue down GW snow (several layers). This seemed fine if I wanted arctic environments but then it struck me that thats not the usual way snow falls. On the next base I put the usual sand, painted it up brown added some flock (as with any general base) and THEN put a loose scatter of snow flock over it. This made it look like a genuine winter environment. Try it - if you have snow flock just take a normal model and sprinkle snowflock on the base. (you can always blow it off!)
    Obviously this isn't relevant if you want a plain white base, but I would advise you try it, it makes the base look really detailed and doesn't make the model/base contrast too stricking (in my opinion this happens a lot with snow bases)
    As far as making your army tie in with the theme - it's a tricky one as you have chaos space marines. I mean - with guard you could have blankets, with tau you could have snow camo, but the marines, encased in the most advanced aromur known to man and proundly showing their colours, dont seem to fit that. One thing that strikes me about the iron warriors - basilisks. most tanks and moving about and so probably dont get that much heavy snow falling on them, but the basilisk sits at the back in a - generally - stationary position. perhaps it would be interesiting to use cloth/green stuff/paper to put some tarpauline-esque stuff on it, obviously with a bit of heaped up snow. Or perhaps make a slightly wider base for it and have the snow piling up around the stationary tracks.
    Just a few ideas. Hope I helped more than hindered!
    Theres nothing false about this monkey. I'm simian through and through.

My Nipponese Dogs of War Army:
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ad.php?t=93112

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x3)

I have just completed a atch of snow bases for my space wolves with the baking soda/ and elmers glue. It looks identical to the stuff slorak has in his pics, perhaps it has a little bit more of a reflective sheen like real snow does but it is just about dead on. Perhaps slorak you used alot more baking soda in your mixture compared to glue, i use a ratio of about 40 glue to 60 baking soda. Its thin and settles like glue, you cant really make any banks or footprints till it has dried some.

Joe Peshi (lone wolf) kill tally:Lash Sorcerer, Ghazkull, Yriel, Termi Libby, Vulkan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

425 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by C/-Rt3r
    I have just completed a atch of snow bases for my space wolves with the baking soda/ and elmers glue. It looks identical to the stuff slorak has in his pics, perhaps it has a little bit more of a reflective sheen like real snow does but it is just about dead on. Perhaps slorak you used alot more baking soda in your mixture compared to glue, i use a ratio of about 40 glue to 60 baking soda. Its thin and settles like glue, you cant really make any banks or footprints till it has dried some.
    All I can say is that looking at a base done with baking soda, one done with woodland scenics, and one with techstar snowflakes - in my honest opinion the techstar snowflakes looks the best. In a picture posted to the internet not so much of a difference...

Geez you would think that techstar owes me royalties or something...

In all honesty it really doesn't matter. Bottom line is use the product that you can afford and come by easily.

Cheers,

-Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x3)

LoL, Slorak all that hard worl advertising should be paid for but...

"In all honesty it really doesn't matter. Bottom line is use the product that you can afford and come by easily. " hits the nail on the head.

Joe Peshi (lone wolf) kill tally:Lash Sorcerer, Ghazkull, Yriel, Termi Libby, Vulkan.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast