Converting Gothic Imperial Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x2)

Converting Gothic Imperial Guard

I love a lot of the DH/WH models as they actually seem to convey the same dark, gothic feel that I see in the artwork for 40k. I love the models so much I think I'm going to abandon my Black Templars in order to start collecting DH/WH (and convert my BTs to Chaos or possibly cash .) I'd like to use some IG as well, since... well, It's hard to pass by the shooty goodness and all those pie plates. Unfortunately, IG look about as dark and gothic as Mickey Mouse when it comes right down to it. They'd be a complete eye sore and ruin the whole reason I want to pick up the army.

What I'm wondering is if anyone knows how I could convert myself some nice gothic guard. I've thought of combining Empire models from Fantasy with the Cadian box. I could add green stuff robes, masks, and bits from my BT sprues to the Cadians to hopefully make them look a little more in character. Another option is to mix in some servitors and arco-flagellants.

You play your game, I'll play mine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let us look at the miniature range of the WH/DH/Black Templars.
    They all have this dark gothic look, with medieval influences.
    I would recommend this:
    1. Lanterns. Make them out of leftover greenstuff or plasticard, put them on bases, hang them onto bannerpoles, leave them dangling from sentinels and whatnot.
    2. Candles. Place on bases and vehicles.
    3. Chains dangling here and there. Skulls hanged in chains.
    4. Cogs and other steampunkish material.
    I'll go out on a wild goose chase here if you don't mind.
    *Chasing geese*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

Bob Dole: Have you ever heard of the... Vostroyans?
    Making the guardsmens more ornate is a good place to start and Zenarions ideas are not bad either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

just remember how many guardsmen you will have, so dont over doit with one squad, or any of them for that matter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

I like the idea of using Fantasy Empire models combined with Cadian arms and weapons. It would definatly give off the same gothic feel of the Inquistorial Retinue models. I saw an awesome conversion of the same nature, using an Empire Free Company soldier (or something similar) with Cadian Flamer arms, weapon,and backpack. It was pretty cool, though I wish I could find it. All I could find is this conversion:

http://www.librarium-online.com/gall...hp?i=4261&c=36

I think it could really be cool. Fluffwise, it could be an Imperial Guard regiment that was recruited from a newly re-aquired, feudal Imperial world. Men who are more accostomed to fighting with swords, bows and arrows, are now handed lasguns, and powerfists. Awesome! If nothing else, I believe that It could really work out well to bring in a distinct gothic/old-world feel to the advanced world of 40K.

This was a triumph...
    I'm making a note here:
    HUGE SUCCESS
    Its hard to overstate my satisfaction.
    Adeptus Mechanicus;
    We do what we must because we can
    for the good all of us,
    except the ones who are dead...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

used steel legion modelsthe look dark enoughg especially if painted like kreig models.
    "They shall all taste OBLIVION!,.....which tastes like Red Bull, which is disgusting."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that combining empire and cadian bits can look good. However I would also recommend using bretonnian parts if you decide to go with Witch Hunters. In the average bret troops bow set oyu get lots of cool little bits like fleur-de-lys lanterns etc. Plus i think the brets look a lot more dirty and bedraggled then the empire. In fact now that I think about it some guy did a load of bretonian based guard on the american white dwarf website...
    here it is:

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/4...nv/default.htm
    Theres nothing false about this monkey. I'm simian through and through.

My Nipponese Dogs of War Army:
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ad.php?t=93112

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+ Reply to Thread