Fenris - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fenris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x2)

Fenris

Just got my iceworld terrain set together and thought I'd post it up. It's simple enough, but I think it looks decent and most importantly, it's completely modular. I plan to add in some craters to supplement the trees as area terrain.

Also, anyone have any tips on making a modular river?

"A word to the wise is infuriating." - Hunter Thompson

Projects: Warhammer 40k: Checkmate & JohnPublic's Board

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    258 (x5)

Looks pretty good from what I can see. I'm interested to know though: are the ice hills just plain polystyrene or are they painted...I cant tell from the picture. If they are just plain polystyrene then I would suggest you paint them - it will make a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPublic
    Also, anyone have any tips on making a modular river?
    The easiest way to go about this is to plan ahead. Decide on several types of river section (i.e straight sections, bends, bridges, fords etc) and plan how many of each you want (I would suggest making at least 2 bends, several straight sections*, and at least one crossing point). After you have decided on how many sections you want, you need to decide how wide you want the base and the river itself to be.

For example say you decide the river is to be Xcm wide, and the base is to be X+3cm wide (i.e. 1.5cm of "bank" on either side of the river). For every section of river you make, ensure that both ends of the river are Xcm wide, and both ends of the base are X+3cm wide. This will mean you can place the sections in any order you want and they will look good. You can vary the width of the river & base in the middles of the sections, but the end of each section must be the same width. Doing this should give you modular river terrain.

* - When I say straight river sections I don't mean they have to be completely straight. They can bend and turn; but the river will come out the far side of the section flowing in the same direction as it did when it entered.

Hope this helps mate.

Cheers,
    Rich.

"Praise" for rp252:
    Da Mighty Camel:
    No, for your information, rp252 is lonely because he is hideous
    Jaffar_Hasad:
    Behind his ugly bloodthirster face, there's some wisdom stored away for moments like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

121 (x2)

The hills are unpainted. I tried many times with little success to achieve that light blue ice effect that many people use and in the end was beginning to cut into my styrofoam supply so I stopped trying. (These blocks have a somewhat unique texture and density to them. Where I work we have a particular vendor that uses these 2" blocks to insulate products which are shipped in dry ice. I only recieve three or four of these packages a year, so my supply is quite limited.)

Here is a picture of my muse:

Thank you for the river suggestion. I should have been more specific in my question though. More than anything I'm looking for ideas on how to make the river texture to look as realistic as possible while staying as flush to the surface of the board as possible AND remain modular. My temptation at the moment is to print a river out on cardstock sections, but I'm afraid that won't make the grade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks good!

but the trees should be snowy IMHO. soon christmas is upon us and their will be snow spray avalible in most stores. should look rather cool dont you think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    258 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnPublic
    More than anything I'm looking for ideas on how to make the river texture to look as realistic as possible while staying as flush to the surface of the board as possible AND remain modular.
    This link has a good guide on making rivers. Keep in mind my suggestions on making the river modular whilst reading it and you should be able to make some good rivers.

The link-----> http://www.librarium-online.com/inde...id=58&Itemid=2

Whilst printing a river will be easy and fast, It will not look as good on the table as one you have made. If you want you can print one off as a stand-in, but I would really put in the time to make your own. A river will always stand a little proud from the table, but this is rarely ever a problem. If you want to make it flat then use thin card (or even better plasticard) for the base and try to make the banks as thin as possible.

Good luck with the river building mate. A good river can really add to a board, and can create some unique tactical situations.

Cheers,
    Rich.

"Praise" for rp252:
    Da Mighty Camel:
    No, for your information, rp252 is lonely because he is hideous
    Jaffar_Hasad:
    Behind his ugly bloodthirster face, there's some wisdom stored away for moments like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

121 (x2)

Thanks for the link, I'll have to give it a go.

As far as the trees go, they are quite snowy, it just didn't come out in the pictures. I found them in the christmas section. They are made to go in those little wonderland scenes but most are the perfect size and the best part is that they were less than $1 per tree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks really sweet.. I wanna play on that battlefield.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

A simple look, but still looks like a cool field to play on.

Proud banner bearer of LO Codicier_Valkus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good board, prehaps you should add more scenery like rocks or some snow bound ruins.
    "Fight for justice, not revenge."
    FoW Gepanzerte Panzergrenadiers who took a wrong turn at Tunisia and magically appeared in Normandy as Panzer Lehr: Wins: 11 Losses: 8

+ Reply to Thread