Bjorn Stormwolf - Lysander Model - WIP - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x2)

Bjorn Stormwolf - Lysander Model - WIP

Hey gang, a friend wanted me to update him on the progress of my Bjorn so I got a decent pic and figured that I might as well share it with everyone. The model is a light conversion of Lysander. The shield, chest emblem, and right leg were filed down to remove the imperial fist markings. On the weapon I wanted to keep the thunder hammer so I took the easy road and left it intact. I am calling it the "Fist of Russ" and will incorporate it when I draw up my special character rules for him. Lastly I cut the Imperial Symbol off of the top of the name banner.

My carving is rubbish so I've decided to stay away from the green stuff for now, meaning no wind swept hair or elaborate pelts, but I will add a few of the wolf tail bits before it's over and the name banner will receive a wolf head above it or perhaps even a tall banner, I have not decided yet. And of course there is a lot of work to be done on the paint. Anywoo, here he is:

Any tips or suggestions are appreciated. (Though please do not mention greenstuff, I know it's the most obvious solution to adding more of a wolf feel, but I really do not want to use it on my Bjorn until my skill with it has improved.)

Thanks.

Last edited by JohnPublic; October 2nd, 2006 at 01:56.
    "A word to the wise is infuriating." - Hunter Thompson

Projects: Warhammer 40k: Checkmate & JohnPublic's Board

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    695 (x8)

Armour is too much like Ultramarine blue for my liking. i'm a space wolf grey fan myself. Also hair should be painted white or grey to show age. I'm going to say it, a green stuff beard and moustache would have worked wonders, and he is missing wolf pelts.

Quick greenstuff 101.

Fur.
    1.Slap on the greenstuff and roughly smooth it out to cover the area to be fur, ie cape.
    2. using a wet drill bit poke into the greenstuff to rough it up.
    3. using a wet knife add direction to the roughed up fur to tease the fur into a fur like shape.

Example
    http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...SA400347-1.jpg

Keep up the work, it'll come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x2)

Yeah, the blue comes across in pictures as "bluer" than it looks in person, but it is just straight, by the book, shadow grey. I painted my original squad as close to the GW ones in the codex and then just never went back to change it. All in all I wish I had used a 70/30 mix of the shadow grey and the space wolves grey, but I'm way too lazy to go back, strip, and repaint 3000 points.

His hair is something of an oddity. I don't think the thin strip on top of his head is hair. I know everyone else paints it as such, including the GW boys, but when I had the model in hand looking at it, it is way too straight and the tip is way too pointed to be hair. To me it looks more like metal. Perhaps I'll go back and paint it with a metallic rather than black to remove the confusion.

The soul patch is a different story. I intentionally painted it flesh to try and cover it up. No respectable Wolf Lord is going to have a soul patch. In the end I suppose I need to go back and shave it off or cover it with greenstuff. Though I know if I try to shave it I will mangle the shape of his chin.

My plan for now is to get him to tabletop quality and some day down the road when I have gotten a better feel for it, go back and add the hair, beard, and pelts.

EDIT: Any tips on putting his name on the banner? I have tried twice now, but both times came up just short. I even had the bright idea to place the O in the center first, but in the end the B and J took up too much room. Is there a good alternative to using a brush?
    Last edited by JohnPublic; October 1st, 2006 at 22:57.
    "A word to the wise is infuriating." - Hunter Thompson

Projects: Warhammer 40k: Checkmate & JohnPublic's Board

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    695 (x8)

us a pencil to write it on first

+ Reply to Thread