Gems - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gems

Well takeing advice from my moveing on thread Which is not being finshed but still i was told to ask questionsso anyway back to the point... i am terrible at gems, my attempts at gems normaly end up looking terribe what i want to know is basicly how do i paint them and any advice with painting them meathods and so on i realy do need paint

Sparks_jonathan

"Mr. Cypher please come out from underneath the table, the Dark Angels are not out to get you."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks_jonathan View Post
    Well takeing advice from my moveing on thread Which is not being finshed but still i was told to ask questionsso anyway back to the point... i am terrible at gems, my attempts at gems normaly end up looking terribe what i want to know is basicly how do i paint them and any advice with painting them meathods and so on i realy do need paint

Sparks_jonathan
    Here's the Games-workshop how to on gems:
    http://uk.games-workshop.com/eldar/details/
    every other advice site I've seen basically covers the same general concept.
    The tricky part is knowing which end of the gem will be dark(at least I thought so)
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

Thats not a bad one on painting gems.

These are not bad either:

http://www.paintingclinic.com/clinic...paintgems2.htm
    http://www.bananaking.net/cento/workshop/paint_gems.htm

I like the 2nd one but with a couple of changes.

I like having more of the dark base colour over the gem as this gives a nice contrast sometimes that can bring out the bottom colours even more.

One more thing with the small white line/dot of reflected light: If you have a lot of the brighter colours (like those tutorials show), I would use a white dot, but sometimes, if (like I said above) you are allowing more of the dark base colour to be visible, it can look good to use a mixture of white and the colour of the gem mixed together.
    This would be probably mixed in a ratio of white:colour 10:1 but thats purely up to you!

Hope that helps...
    But I call to God, and the LORD saves me.
    Psalm 55:16

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

I paint my gems pretty close to Cento's method as linked above. I start with a base of black and then create a 75% crecent of the darkest color in the shade I am using, followed by a 50% crecent below, and finally a 25% crecent of the lightest shade. I then put a dot of white in the black area and finally gloss the gems once I have matte varnished the figure.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    282 (x5)

I have find out a pretty fast way to paint gems, I have painted all the bubbles as gems on my elder army. That makes about 40 gems just on my barroth...

Any way this is how I do it (example green gem)

1. paint the hole gem dark angel green + black.

2. mix dark angel green and white (almost pure white) and paint the bottom of the gem.

3. mix more dark angel green with white and paint this on, don’t cover all of your bright color leave a tine line at the bottom.

4. ad more dark angel green or just go to pure green (the more layers the smother it look)

5. after pure green ad black and the make the little spot of pure white.

The reason I paint from a bright color to a dark shade is because I find it hard to paint the last tine line at the bottom of the gem.

Most of the time I pant the gem quite dark and have the gem color at the bottom.

http://img237.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gemer1.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i have followed your advice and found out that i can paint gems harrar! ill post some pictures of it on sometime soon.
    "Mr. Cypher please come out from underneath the table, the Dark Angels are not out to get you."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

Good to hear!
    Be sure to post those pics!
    But I call to God, and the LORD saves me.
    Psalm 55:16

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok well it seems that it will be a little longer before i post thosese pics but keep on waiting please i need criticisum

+ Reply to Thread