Imperial Navy Ships - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Proud banner bearer of LO Codicier_Valkus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imperial Navy Ships

Here is some of my Imperial Navy stuff, note that the the blue prows have been touched up after the photo was taken, and yes, one of the rams is broken, dont let other ppl bulid a ship for you....
    I used lots of drybrushing-ness, starting with a schorced brown heavy drybrush over a black undercoat and working up to bleached bone with an ink wash some where inbetween...
    The Cruiser at the far back, with the Lance Turrets on its dorsal is called the Red Varria whilst the ship behind the Hammer of Justice is a Dictator Class Cruiser named the Steel Truth

Do tell me what you think.... (ships postioned as said eariler)

And heres some additonal shots....

"Fight for justice, not revenge."
    FoW Gepanzerte Panzergrenadiers who took a wrong turn at Tunisia and magically appeared in Normandy as Panzer Lehr: Wins: 11 Losses: 8

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

From the distance you shot them they look very nice. Your color scheme looks like it is working well. I like the dirtyness to the metal hull. It contrasts nicely with the red and bronze trim.

Might be nice to paint in some light effects on some of the little bitz and pieces on the side but not terribly necessary.

My only real criticism is that the bases need many many more subtle white spots for stars. Right now it looks more like polkadots. One thing that you might try in the future is to paint them black and then from a good distance spray lightly with white spray paint. Then go back and hand paint "closer" stars. Just my thoughts on this.

Otherwise nice job. In the future you might want to take pictures on a solid neutral background rather just on a desk top full of stuff. That will bring more focus on your figures!

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers mate!

Thanks very much mate! ^_^ I don't have much need nor budget to spare for a white spray save your suggested methods. I'll try using an old toothbrush to flick the paint on, that might do the trick. I might go and paint more lights on too somtime...
    Many thanks for the helpful advice Slorak! I gave you some rep too!
    FoW Gepanzerte Panzergrenadiers who took a wrong turn at Tunisia and magically appeared in Normandy as Panzer Lehr: Wins: 11 Losses: 8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    258 (x5)

For the bases of my vessels (all 68 of them lol - I just counted) I have used the old toothbrush method. It is very easy, very cheap and (IMO) very effective. You need to dip the brush in the paint then rub the brush on some tissue/cloth/family pet etc until you have a thin layer left on the bristles. Then hold the brush about 20cm from the base and slowely draw you finger back along the brush - works a treat.

You should experiment a bit with how much paint to leave on the brush before you use the toothbrush on your models. You can use the method to make small and large stars. If you want bigger stars then load a little more paint on the brush and draw your thumb back slowely. If you want smaller stars then draw you thumb back quickly to create a fine mist. I tend to cover the base in very small stars, then do one or two "flicks" with the brush for bigger ones.

I used ths method to make by BFG game board as well - although it took much longer - in the end I was desperately considering using a sweeping brush and stick to speed things up!

If you want some examples I will post pics; but I need to find my camera first. Good luck with the bases mate - oh yeah, and well painted fleet - I like them.

Cheers,
    Rich.

"Praise" for rp252:
    Da Mighty Camel:
    No, for your information, rp252 is lonely because he is hideous
    Jaffar_Hasad:
    Behind his ugly bloodthirster face, there's some wisdom stored away for moments like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the detailed toothbrush tips! I'll renember them. :yes: The painting method I use is very easy and quick, glad to see people like it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

Always nice to see some BFG-ships! Great work with them!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers MightyCamel! I still got another two cruisers to do and some Firestrom Frigates for all that lance goodness. ^_^ And an SM battlebarge too... now I just have to wait for the forces of Chaos to cordially invite me to a planetary assault/ exterminatus.....

The most isloated capital city in the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They look pretty sweet, although I would suggest plain black bases, as those white dots dont look very convincing. Apart from that awesome^_^
    Only a few prefer liberty - the majority seek nothing more than fair masters

Sallust, Histories

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers man. :)

Quote Originally Posted by bicycle repairman View Post
    They look pretty sweet, although I would suggest plain black bases, as those white dots dont look very convincing. Apart from that awesome^_^
    I'm gonna redo them black at some stage and use the toothbrush technique described earlier for cooler looking bases.

+ Reply to Thread