Overseas Primer Issue - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overseas Primer Issue

I have just been stationed overseas and I have a APO address, the problem is Gamesworkshop will not ship spay can primer to a APO address. I don't know if its a additional cost, or it's just not allowed. However, they can ship me everything else I need. Shopping around on base I was unable to find any Spray Can model Primer.

So, how can I prime my army before I paint them? If anyone knows of a way to ship spray on primer for models to a APO address, please tell me.

Thank You.

I hope people are having fun.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

It is my understanding that spray primers must be shipped using only ground transportation. I think this is due to the cargo area of a plane being depressurized which would cause the cans to explode.

Your best bet is to locate a brush on primer. It has been a very long time since I have used a brush on primer so I don't really have a good recommendations other than a product I used to use to good effect. It is called Glass and Tile Medium and is by a company called folk art. Here is a website that explains its use a bit more:

http://michael.casavant.us/Paint/pri...nd_Tile_Medium

It has real good sticking power and makes an cheap and very efficient brush on primer.

Hope this helps...

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try off-base or (believe it or not) the community center. While I was in Korea, I found some Tamiya primer in a local hobby store and the CC had Testors. If all else fails, go the airbrush route if you don't want to manually brush prime them.
    Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary. You know you probably won't like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by RedFang View Post
    I have just been stationed overseas and I have a APO address, the problem is Gamesworkshop will not ship spay can primer to a APO address. I don't know if its a additional cost, or it's just not allowed. However, they can ship me everything else I need. Shopping around on base I was unable to find any Spray Can model Primer.

So, how can I prime my army before I paint them? If anyone knows of a way to ship spray on primer for models to a APO address, please tell me.

Thank You.
    RedFang, where are you stationed?
    If you happen to be in Okinawa, I can give you some suggestions.
    Otherwise, off post/base is the best way to get quality supplies.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't know about onbase stuff, but off base, you can get some good spray primers for hardware stores. I don't use GW primer, I use Rust'o lium grey primer. It's great, works well, easy to find, and 1/3 the cost of GW primer paint.
    But essentially any spray primer from a hardware store will do, just use the same methods applying it as you would GW primer.

EDIT: Maybe the motor pool can give you some ideas on where to get some primer. Most shops have some spray paint on hand.
    Last edited by Gman; October 17th, 2006 at 21:50.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theyak View Post
    RedFang, where are you stationed?
    If you happen to be in Okinawa, I can give you some suggestions.
    Otherwise, off post/base is the best way to get quality supplies.
    Yes I'm stationed on Okinawa.
    I hope people are having fun.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

385 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by RedFang View Post
    Yes I'm stationed on Okinawa.
    Okay.
    Kadena: Gate 2 street, there is a card/comics/hobby store called the silver bullet. Koji san used to carry limited GW stuff, he may still have the connections for getting that in

Futenma/MCAS Futenma/Foster area- In the actual Futenma town(near the temple) there's a shop tucked away right next to the local Futenma highschool that sells models they have a huge assortment of tools and models(not GW, that I know of, but still a good resource)

Along Highway 58, there are(or at least used to be) a few RC/RC airplane stores right where the branch off to go to MCAS futenma/pipeline road is.

You know the futenma hill, off of 58NB, there's a toystore called Frank's toys, if they're still open, they used to be my favorite place to go, they have a lot of model stuff including paints. The owner is very knowledgable, and the staff is good too.

The San-A's as well, have toy sections you might want to check out.
    Most of what you'll find is Tamia, but that's pretty good stuff.

The PX/BXs usually get model stuff, The Foster Main Exchange used to have a pretty decent section(few years ago, anyhow) and the Kadena BX is pretty massive(for a base exchange) and they are bound to have decent stuff.

Another place to try would be the Kadena Craft center, near the BX across the main street, they may be able to get some in or have the connections to point you in the right direction.

Last, and actually you might want to check on him first: GARY(I can't remember his last name) he owns the Collector's corner stores on base(if he's still in business, he was two years ago, but you never know) is an excellent resource, the last I saw, he was actually starting to get in some GW models, and would have the right connections to nudge you in the right way. He had a kiosk in the foster "arcade" area, he has a private off-base shop along 58 too(though it looked closed the last time I saw)

Good luck, PM me if you need some more ideas.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

+ Reply to Thread