cloth folds - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cloth folds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cloth folds

I have a simple noob painting question.

I'm painting a unit of the old metal scouts for my blood angels. I'm painting the pants bleached bone. How can I darken the creases/deep folds in the pants quickly and easily? Would a chestnut or brown wash followed by repeat drybrushing of bleached bone do the trick, or will I have to individually brush paint each crease to get a good effect?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just went through a similar scenario with some Cadian HQ...

Go with the next color darker than bleached bone (light brown) and wash it through the folds of the cloth. I tried chestnut ink and it was not what I was after, but perhaps experiment...

Then touch up any mistakes with the bleached bone...

And for the last step, highlight with some bleached bone mixed a shade or two lighter. Blend it in, and it will look stunning. But remember, stop when it looks good/right. Otherwise, you might put too much on!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

I would recommend Vallejo smoke (comes in both game and model colors). It is not an ink but rather a glaze and should be the tint you are looking for. Won't be as strong as using a brown ink. The thinner you make it the more subtle it is as well.

cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

i would use my "wash techinque". Basically you make a watered down version of the color you want in the recess and then apply it. First you start with the color you want to be shown the most(usually the first or second highlight. Then you wash the coat in this case with a darker color made with normal paint, but with added water. This helps gat rid of the shineyness of inks. Then you high light with the color you originally applied. Then you go on with more lighter and smaller highlights on the coat and viola! my version of the standard wash...
    "This sure ain't no pansy Eldar Armor, Son"
    185th Cadian Armored Div.

"One Shot, One Kill"
    Western Border Patrol of Athel Loren

+ Reply to Thread