Painting Gold. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Painting Gold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Painting Gold.

The colour that is.

Every time I start painting it just flat out doesnt look right...Prehaps I'm not using it properly? The main colour is purple and the trim (Chaos Marines) is Shining gold...The problem is that even with multiple coats it simply doesn't look right. Too...spotty? for lack of a better word

It applies very thinly, so I was wondering if there isn't something I could do about that...combining it with a different colour and toning down the lustre in more of a flat colour that goes on easier?

Thanks for any input. I don't paint very often and when things turn out poorly it kills what's left of my drive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have you tried using a slight base coat of tin bitz/brazen brass or something darker than the gold?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been applying it directly to black (which may infact be the root of the problem as black is ...well..black) but a tin/bronze colour would work well with it? I'll admit, I'm not very good with the chemistry of painting ^^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    293 (x5)

IMHO it depends how you treat your acrylic paints generally. I'll try and give some pointers, but I dare say other people will have other ideas and I hope they will share them.

Undercoats for gold: A choice of three are usually suggested, yellow, brown or black. Experiment to see which one is best for you.

Stirring Paint: If you say the paint is very watery, thats a little odd. My experience with GW Acryllic metallics are that its best NOT to water them down particularly. The rest of the paint range yes certainly they are formulated to be diluted some with water. But the metallics work best if you just stir them THOROUGHLY in the pot (use a bit of old sprue NOT a paintbrush) and then put a wet dollop on your saucer (or better still, your Stay-wet pallette). With metallics you get a distinct layer of the gungy metal particles at the bottom of the pot, these must be stirred into the watery top fluid for the paint to work.

Often people use a layering technique for gold - it's in several recent White Dwarfs. I think its a first layer of Dwarf Bronze, then Shining Gold, then Burnished Gold, then 'highlight' with a mix of Burnished Gold and Mithril Silver. Make sure you let the first coat dry and cure for maybe twenty minutes before putting on the next layer. Obviously the later layers are mainly deposited on the raised areas, in the manner of dry brushing or highlighting. For a more 'antique' look, float some brown/chestnut ink into the recesses.

Gold also looks best if it has a thin Dark Brown line separating it from any other paintwork, although that might be more fiddly than you want to go. Finally, don't neglect to put a decent shiny gloss varnish over it.

Hope this helps, Maybe you are over-diluting your paints, not stirring them well enough, and/or not leaving enough time between layers for the earlier layer to cure properly.

By the way, here's a BloodBowl player I painted using the layering technique (on the Gold), it works for me.

Last edited by Hard A**; October 19th, 2006 at 14:48.
    Ryan Dancey, Vice President of Wizards of the Coast, believed that TSR failed because of "...a near total inability to listen to its customers, hear what they were saying, and make changes to make those customers happy." Are you listening, Games Workshop ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

When I was painting silver metallic over sprayed on gloss primer I had a "spotty" finish too. I'd have to put on several coats of silver to get enough to stick so that it didn't look goofy.

I tried priming a few models with just black acrylic and the spots went away.

What are you using to prime? If it's gloss, could be you have the same problem.

Even if it isn't, it still sounds suspiciously like what was happening to me. Maybe change your primer regardless.
    We all carry on,
    When our brothers in arms are gone.
    So raise your glass high
    For tomorrow we die,
    And return from the ashes you call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried using a basecoat of chaos black originally and it required quite a few layers and still looked a bit off...so I tried a wee bit of brown this morning as a base for the trim about a shoulder pad and it looked quite a bit better.

I think I'll be sticking with the brown since it saved me about 3 layers worth of shining gold and quite a bit of frustration, though I plan to look at bronze/brass as well.

Thanks for the help guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

You should start with a base of brass rather than the tin. The brass is basically a darker gold anyway...

How I do it is this:

Over white or black base coat doesn't matter...
    1 layer of brass
    brown ink wash
    1 layer of darker gold (I think it is burnished I always get them mixed up)
    light wash of purple or green ink (to add character)
    1 layer of the lightest gold
    Sometimes a spot of highlighting with silver finishes it off...

This is what my gold looks like with the brass base coat:

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats a great looking gold.

Mine's better now, no where near that, but better. Looking at one of my older models that had been near my desk light too long : Natural shading has occoured....In that I mean that parts that the light hit all the time are now faded and such...oddly enough it looks pretty good, save for the parts where you can see the paint thin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slorak's hit it on the head.
    The only thing I'd change is to say that you should base it with brown first, THEN follow Slorak's directions, word-for-word.

Eric
    Blue Table Painting
    --Miniatures painting service. High quality, good prices, and quick turnaround.
    www.bluetablepainting.com

+ Reply to Thread