Tyranid Painting Progress - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyranid Painting Progress

I am working on painting my first miniature army - tyranids. I'm definitely not a very good painter, but these are turning out decent enough I suppose, for a first effort. I'm going to post some pictures soon so you can see what I've done - color scheme is a blue/purple blend on the flesh and a red - yellow gradient on the carapace. It's very striking.

I'm posting this now so #1 I don't forget to do so later, and #2 so I can see if anyone has any comments on the color scheme or tips for painting tyranids. I'm already wishing I had painted before gluing, with all the cracks and crevasses on these bugs it's making it quite a challenge.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very Striking indeed! Most colourful army ever...

Anywho, i'd like to see what the actuall painting techniques are, so as soon as you can, post em

Anywho, don't let the first bit 'o painting get you down, everyone is bad at one point (except maybe the 'Eavy Metal design team...)

-The God of all Machines
    W/D/L
    -Imperial:50/2/10
    -Non-Imperial:10/1/4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like a very interesting color scheme!

Can't wait for the pictures

W/T/L- 85 Billion/1/4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slight dilemma. It seems in the time between painting the first test model around a year ago, and attempting to paint more now, I've lost all ability to actually blend colors on the carapace. My recent attempts turned out in a big messy jumble.

I should have my camera tomorrow night. So by this time tomorrow there should be pictures of my first test model from a while ago that turned out good, and some pictures of new attempts. Because of my lack of skill, I may end up painting the carapaces an orange and just trying to highlight them, but I fear that won't be as striking as the gradient look. Alas, the woes of the inexperienced painter.

Edit: Another thing. I have a unit of genestealers that I plan on putting extended carapace on. Problem is, they're already primered because I wasn't initially planning on using the biomorphs. Can/should I glue the bits on over the primer and re-primer, or would it be better to strip them first?
    Last edited by CDAGeek; October 25th, 2006 at 08:41.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by CDAGeek View Post
    Edit: Another thing. I have a unit of genestealers that I plan on putting extended carapace on. Problem is, they're already primered because I wasn't initially planning on using the biomorphs. Can/should I glue the bits on over the primer and re-primer, or would it be better to strip them first?
    I'm not sure it would be a good idea to try and strip plastic models, especially if you are starting out. You could try to carefully scrape the paint off and then use some plastic glue. You won't actually need to remove all of it just be careful not to scrape the models. Another idea is to use super glue. Either way the models will need some more primer.

It will also be nice to see your Tyranids, I paint Tyranids too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll have a sample model posted tonight. It's a spinegaunt but it'll show my scheme and (lack of) talent. I'm rather hesitant to post it on this board in light of all the incredible paint jobs posted here, but I suppose I need critique if I'm gonna figure out what I'm doing wrong, so feel free to be brutal. Just please explain how do accomplish any recommendations you throw at me.

Edit: Got the camera, forgot the USB cord to upload pics. Pictures will be forthcoming tomorrow afternoon.
    Last edited by CDAGeek; October 26th, 2006 at 07:40.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At last, the long awaited (ha!) pictures of my color scheme. My pictures stink majorly, I'm afraid. Somehow this was the best I could do with a 3.2 megapixel camera. Any tips on how to take better pictures are welcome. Anyhow, it should give you a general idea for the color scheme at least.

Side View
    http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p...k/DSCF0717.jpg

3rd Person View
    http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p...k/DSCF0708.jpg

Bit of the face
    http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p...k/DSCF0705.jpg

Honestly, I have no idea how to get good pictures of my minis. It seems impossible with this camera - I tried every setting in it and these were the best.

That should give you an idea of the color scheme - since I can't seem to do the blending, I'm thinking of doing the carapace striation patterns found here with the color range of scab red through sunburst yellow.

What do you all think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

Use macro mode. All new digi cameras have it and so does every camera that was bought in the last three years. It usually takes the form of a small flower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately this camera is rather old, and does not appear to have macro mode. At least, it's not listed and none of the modes have a flower icon.

I shall see what I can do about getting my hands on such a camera.

Proud banner bearer of LO Codicier_Valkus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Place the camera further away from the models and keep the camera as still as possible and do not use zoom either, as thats liable to cause blur. But the painting is good as far as I can tell....
    "Fight for justice, not revenge."
    FoW Gepanzerte Panzergrenadiers who took a wrong turn at Tunisia and magically appeared in Normandy as Panzer Lehr: Wins: 11 Losses: 8

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast