Repainting - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repainting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Repainting

I bought a bunch of models off of ebay, and some of them are already painted. I've got a very specific color scheme I'm doing to my models, so I'd like to repaint some of them.

What's the best way to go about this? Painting over them? Should I spray a new basecoat on them, and redo the entire model? ...Or...just paint over the parts I don't like?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Sailor by career, pirate by heart.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    282 (x5)

if its stale parts and the paint is not to thick you can just paint over with a new color. But I shod recommend that you strip the models from paint, if its armor or a main area like that.

The problem with painting over is that details can get cover by paint and that will not look good. Allots of new painters use thick paint and there fore it can be a good idea to strip the models.

If its plastic you most be careful so you don’t use a substance that can met the plastic. If its metal you can use nail polish or something like that. Try use the "search" I know there has been a few posts about striping...

hope this help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always search the forums first, but no worries, just next time. I use nail polish remover for any paintstripping. Dip an old tooth brush into it and scrub away. Wash youre model after stripping. Do not soak your models in it and don't brush your teeth with the toothbrush ever again, you may die.

Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

As other have stated ... if the paint isn't too thick and not too off darkness wise from your paint scheme you should be able to paint right over it. Now if you are trying to paint white or yellow over a dark blue then maybe stripping would be a good idea especially if the paint is thick.

Do a search for stripping and you will come up with dozens of methods to strip figures.

Stripping usually isn't a perfect solution though. It can be time consuming and you will most likely not get every last little bit of paint off. So personally I would judge wether or not it is worth stripping by looking at:

1. your current skill level. If you are still learning painting over will not really impact things too much and will be a lot quicker.

2. Any time restrainsts. Again stripping will be much more time consuming. If you are trying to get them knocked out real fast stripping might not be ideal.

3. Cost. Cost is generally an issue with anything. Find out how much it will cost you for stripping supplies and equipment and weight that against both your time and skill level to see if it is worth doing.

----------

Ideally stripping is the better route to go but the easier method will most likely be just painting over. Good luck in your endeavors.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by slorak View Post
    As other have stated ... if the paint isn't too thick and not too off darkness wise from your paint scheme you should be able to paint right over it. Now if you are trying to paint white or yellow over a dark blue then maybe stripping would be a good idea especially if the paint is thick.

Do a search for stripping and you will come up with dozens of methods to strip figures.

Stripping usually isn't a perfect solution though. It can be time consuming and you will most likely not get every last little bit of paint off. So personally I would judge wether or not it is worth stripping by looking at:

1. your current skill level. If you are still learning painting over will not really impact things too much and will be a lot quicker.

2. Any time restrainsts. Again stripping will be much more time consuming. If you are trying to get them knocked out real fast stripping might not be ideal.

3. Cost. Cost is generally an issue with anything. Find out how much it will cost you for stripping supplies and equipment and weight that against both your time and skill level to see if it is worth doing.

----------

Ideally stripping is the better route to go but the easier method will most likely be just painting over. Good luck in your endeavors.

Cheers,

-Mike
    Thanks for the info, as I was just about to look for stipping techniques that are most effective.

Prior to reading this, I used "Simple Green", which is a paint stripper. It worked fairly well, but took quite a while and alot of time consumption/annoying work (scrubbing with a toothbrush for 20 minute incriments ().

Anyway, as this is on subject, would anyone know precisely which nailpolish remover is most effective as I would like to try this method out. Thanks for the advice.

Sam
    Last edited by Flip911; October 28th, 2006 at 05:26.

Army Records:

Necrons ~ W 15 / L 0 / D 0
    World Eaters ~ W 1 / L 0 / D 0
    Dark Angles ~ W 0 / L 0 / D 0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

I've used Simple Green, nail polish remover, and Castrol Super Clean.

Castrol Super Clean works the best. Pretty cheap. Pick it up at Wal-Mart or an auto store.

For what it's worth, if your color scheme is totally different than what you're buying, I'd just say strip them. In the amount of time it takes to soak your models (about 30 minutes) then brush them off with a toothbrush or pot scrubber then rinse, you aren't behind much. Personally, it's a lot quicker for me to just start from scratch than try to color match repainted eBay stuff with my scratch painted stuff.
    Last edited by DEADMARSH; October 27th, 2006 at 01:51.
    We all carry on,
    When our brothers in arms are gone.
    So raise your glass high
    For tomorrow we die,
    And return from the ashes you call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DEADMARSH View Post
    I've used Simple Green, nail polish remover, and Castrol Super Clean.

Castrol Super Clean works the best. Pretty cheap. Pick it up at Wal-Mart or an auto store.

For what it's worth, if your color scheme is totally different than what you're buying, I'd just say strip them. In the amount of time it takes to soak your models (about 30 minutes) then brush them off with a toothbrush or pot scrubber then rinse, you aren't behind much. Personally, it's a lot quicker for me to just start from scratch than try to color match repainted eBay stuff with my scratch painted stuff.
    Thanks for the tip; I'll look into it as I just purchased a Necron Lord that needs its paint stripped off immediately...
    Last edited by Flip911; October 28th, 2006 at 05:26.

Army Records:

Necrons ~ W 15 / L 0 / D 0
    World Eaters ~ W 1 / L 0 / D 0
    Dark Angles ~ W 0 / L 0 / D 0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x4)

Any nail polish remover will do.
    Don't use them on plastic parts, though - it MELTS them!
    But for metal minis it's the ideal way to get rid of the old paint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Make sure the nail polish has acetone in it.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    282 (x5)

Most of the time I use pure acetone for my metalic models. I dont know if this is the best way, but it will work.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast