Horse Mounted Marine Army - Suggestions Needed - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    209 (x3)

Horse Mounted Marine Army - Suggestions Needed

Hello everyone!

I've recently had come into my possession, 24 of GW's riders of rohan models from their LOTR line. I was considering trashing the riders and using the horses as proxy bikes for a white scar-themed marine army. Looking at the horses, they are of a smaller scale than the GW fantasy ones. I questioning if the marines will look a little dumb on them....

My other problem is getting enough bike mounted legs.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions regarding places to get mounted legs without having to buy 24 bikes...or having to greenstuff convert 24 regualr legs....

Of if there were any other races that had bike themed armies? Perhaps eldar?

Tanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Methinks the space marines would look very strange. It would be like a 7ft tall monster riding a pony. I don't think it would look good. If your intent on going on with a mounted theme why not try an Imperial guard army and maxing out your rough riders? ooh, 30 rough riders. Sounds fun no?

"Look Livley!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The size difference is just to much I can see a marine riding say a giant 15 ft lizard but his weight would crush a horse of any kind probably even the bionic ones in VAmpire hunter D. Now Rough riders on the other hand would probably be a better choice if you havn't already bought too many MArines there powerful look cool and can be represented with nearly any fantasy mini conversion.
    "They shall all taste OBLIVION!,.....which tastes like Red Bull, which is disgusting."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be like family guy(popular animated show in US dont know bout UK) where peter is riding brian lol. So ya I agree with all the others, go with the rough riders or you could possibly do it with eldar because they are light and small.
    40,000- 7,000 Points Chaos Space Marines=18 and 17
    40,000- 2,500 Points Tau Empire=1 and 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x3)

You could always paint the horses or do little greenstuff adjustments to make them look like the horses from Vampire Hunter D (robotic). That might work

My Arena Champions: Kharn'eth The Bloodcleaver and Gorzag Iron Jaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

clydesdales?

Proud banner bearer of LO Codicier_Valkus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Horses are too weak and small for an Astartes, use the new Lizardman cold ones instead, they are much larger than the weedy LOTR horses and look like they could carry alot of gear.
    "Fight for justice, not revenge."
    FoW Gepanzerte Panzergrenadiers who took a wrong turn at Tunisia and magically appeared in Normandy as Panzer Lehr: Wins: 11 Losses: 8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

Personally i think the idea of space marines riding horses is really cool.... I say use fantasy horses though not LOTR ones.:sleep:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Three words: Space Marine scouts.

Otherwise, I have to agree with the general theme of the responses so far -- Traditional power-armored Space Marines + horse = mashed horse.

Problem is, what is more important to you, finding a use for your models, or putting marines on horses? If it's the latter, the above posts offer better advice than I can come up with.

As for keeping the models, you're gonna have to live with the idea, I think, of putting something else (marine scouts?) on top of them besides regular marines. You could convert the riders (with files, cutters, greenstuff, and a little imagination) into that "something else."

I still think scouts would be interesting, and given their need to get into out-of-the-way places, not entirely unfluffy.
    Last edited by Canew; November 5th, 2006 at 15:36.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree, cold-ones all the way

it's bad enough a fully armored marine riding a regular Fantasy-scale horse, but since the LOTR ones are smaller, itd look like a 300lb guy trying to ride a 2 year old child

and since it's kinda on topic, has anyone ever done the SM+Cold One conversion b4?

because I'm thinking about doing it, but I'm still not sure how to represented the bolters that would usually be on the front of the bike
    Shoot first....shoot again....annnnnnnnnd shoot some more, cause I think I saw his leg twitch.

Also, very mad props to aerion_the_faitful for making so many damn good drawings, esp. ones of Space Marines (and the one that I use for my Avatar)!

+ Reply to Thread