Order of the Shadowy Flame HQ contest [pic heavy] - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Whose model do you like best?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • chemicalcaveman's Lamenter Chapter Master

3 3.85%
  • Helbrecht's Blood Angel Captain

6 7.69%
  • Lost Nemesis' Grek Knight Grand Master

14 17.95%
  • minus_t's Black Dragin Captain

52 66.67%
  • Steerpike's Eldar Exodite

3 3.85%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

Order of the Shadowy Flame HQ contest [pic heavy]

Hello there everyone!
    Some of you may be aware of our delightful order, we lurk down in the clubs and clans board, having mad ideas about unusual armies, making strange convertions and generally being a bit weird.

Anyway, we've been running an HQ painting contest over the last month, and have got some really good entries for you everyone to look at :yes:

So, in alphabetical order:

Told you it was pic heavy...
    So, come one, come all, give comments, praise, criticism; if you vote, please let us know what for, and why.

Cheers for looking, and please vote
    -t.

Last edited by minus_t; November 14th, 2006 at 00:53.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Gonna go ahead and vote for -t's Black Dragon Captain there. Very high quality paint job, puts mine to shame. Everyone else's looks great, too, but I think -t bags it this time.

Love the conversion work for the lot of them, though. Quality stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love 'em!

They are all very good minis guys thanks for putting them up for us to see!
    Cheers
    Mouthrax

New Look Website
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The most glorious rainbow ever, Pleasuretown.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    67 (x3)

THose are all really, REALLY nice models, an honor to view 'em, but I think minus_t's takes the cake. Great details, and I always love to see custom or rare SM chapters. Great work to everybody though!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett on Quidditch
    I couldn't help but imagine some poor guy looking up to find a Badger hurtling towards him, about to wrap itself around his skull.
    [ 1500pt. Chaos List, C&C! ]
    -=W: 2 -D: 0- L: 3=-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x2)

I'm going with Minus-t. I just really love the over all quality, and the claws are killer!

-Doom

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

Well, now seems as good a time as any to post up my thoughts and reveal.... Who I Voted For!

Ahem.
    First up, chemicalcaveman.
    Intersting concept for the mini, I love that you're going for such a charecterful chapter, and such a tough paint scheme!
    Convertion-wise, generaly it is very good. I think that the half-bionic head from the tactical marine sprue might have been a better choice on the whole (just because whole faces allow me to empathise more, and form a more dramatic focal point). Likewise, I think using a bionic arm might have added something else to it as well. Finally, I think that, while not as effective game-wise, you should have gone for the thunder hammer you were thinking about, it would have looked really nice resting against the ground :yes:
    Painting-wise, a solid tabletop mini, strong colours, but could use a bit more definition in places (specifically, the terminator honours, flesh and bone areas). The yellow is a little bit lurid, and not quite 'beat-up' enough for my tastes (considering the chapter is (probably) on it's last legs). I love the paint on the tyranid 'thing' on the base ^_^

Helbrecht, very nice model
    The convertion is flawless, love it absolutely. I especially like the huge chain-axe-thing, although maybe (just maybe) it would be more appropriate for the Flesh Tearers?
    Paint-wise, I think that it is, again, very good. The red could do with once more highlight, to really make it pop, and I think that you can definately do better regarding the black (*scolds*). As I'm being really picky, it would also have been nice to see the blood drops painted as jewels, to make them really stand out

Lost Nemesis, for your fourth or fifth model this is really good
    The convertion is very nice, would have been nice to get rid of a few more of those pesky ultramarine icons, but that is just being pedantic
    The painting is very good, nice clean flat colours, it would benefit from some (nice 'n' simple) washes on the areas of detail (the text on the shoulder pads, the greave decorations etc), just to give a bit more definition :yes:

Now, I can't really give myself a fair appraisal, but personally I think I could have done a bit more with it.
    A bit of freehand on the armour plates (such as thin silver lines around the edge of the right shoulder pad etc) would really add something, and I think it is something I am capable of. I'll shut up about me now :tongue:

Steerpike, what a cool model!
    The convertion is top-rate, great choices of parts to amalgamate, very characterful :yes:
    The paint job is solid, but a bit brown... Unfortunately, that is what the model calls for :wacko:
    Very nice, clean painting nonetheless, but it really needs a bit more colour in there, somewhere, somehow, to really make it pop

At the end of the day, I voted for Helbrecht. The model has very nice convertion work, a good paint job, and just screams 'black rage' to me, which I love :yes:

I would like to thank everyone who has posted so far, and would like to say how impressed I am at the overall quality of the entries that we got. Good work guys!
    -t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x5)

Great work everyone, in the end I'm going with minus_t's BD Commander.

The black on mine is a little extreme, i'm working on it as i have only recently began learning to highlight it. Practice makes perfect. Flesh Terrors, I'll look into it...

-t bonus points for all the hard work you did for editing the pics, and making the backgrounds which btw are sick!
    Xbox Gamertag: x Helbrecht x

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

Once again I found my clan to have competition that it's even harder to vote in then to find time enough to participate in.
    Clichés are what they are since they are so true, and I'll have to use one right now. Man those models are beautiful and to chose one that is better then the others is a nightmare.
    They all have their own qualities and the thing that impresses me most is the poses. You guys really made it this time. And it was the pose that was what made me vote like I did.

My vote goes to Chemical Caveman's nearly beaten commander. It looks so destined yet decided to fight on nomatter the odds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

242 (x6)

Guys, I love being part of this clan, because the quality of not only the idea's, but the conversions and paintjob's you guys constantly come out with is just amazing. You truly are inspirations!

Thanks for the comments (and votes!) so far, and I am taking them to heart. I am planning to go back, and swap the head and arm (I like -t's idea) and I also think I am going to take the yellow one more highlight up.

My comments on the rest of the entries, and I have just one word..Wow. My favourite thing about each entry is that it shows perfectly what each army is about. The unmovable power of the Grey Knights, the rage of the Blood Angels, the fury of the Black Dragons and the aloofness of the eldar. This was brought across not only by the painting but also the conversions and posing. So kudo's to everyone. In the end though, purely because I feel he is better painted than any of the rest, i'm going with -t's Black Dragon. The quality of the paint job just blew me away.

Also kicking photoshop and backround work mate.............:yes:

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    695 (x8)

Why did no one tell me about this comp?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast