Green ink or black? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Green ink or black?

So, I'm painting (and in some cases, repainting) some Dark Angels. Some/most of them are undercoated with clear primer (thanks, Slorak!) so I'm starting with straight DA green as a basecoat.

Next, I know I'm gonna need to shade with ink. My problem: Green ink would probably "tint" the surfaces better, but black will shade/outline the recesses better, I think.

Anyone had this dilemma before? What would you use?

Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    So, I'm painting (and in some cases, repainting) some Dark Angels. Some/most of them are undercoated with clear primer (thanks, Slorak!) so I'm starting with straight DA green as a basecoat.

Next, I know I'm gonna need to shade with ink. My problem: Green ink would probably "tint" the surfaces better, but black will shade/outline the recesses better, I think.

Anyone had this dilemma before? What would you use?
    green
    Find The Exiles site here. Brought to you by spacemarine. Concept, Army list, etc. brought to you by Vlorlich.

If a necron is broken then don't fix it

[SIGPIC]arrra[/SIGPIC]

and here my other site the exiles vs necrons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

My suggestion would be do a 4:1 mix of green to black ink or there abouts until it is dark enough for you but still green. Apply this so it gets into the recesses and generally darkens the paint below. next go back with your base color (watered down thin) and recover areas that will get the highlights - if that makes sense to you.

A tad time consuming but you should get some interesting results with it.

cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

I agree with the post above. Try mixing some black and green ink and experimenting on some spare pieces. Remember, you could always do both. Ink with black to provide deep shading, and then lighten it up with green ink. :yes:

+ Reply to Thread