How do you paint YOUR models? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you paint YOUR models?

I have found that spraying and undercoating on the sprue, and then build and doing the details is better.

How do you do YOURS?!?!

Last edited by King Ulrik Flamebeard; November 15th, 2006 at 20:48. Reason: English reasons. - KU

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x1)

i'm very, VERY new at this but so far, i only tried assembling, then undercoating+painting...

and i have to say, there's some very hard to reach detail that i almost have to give up on my necron warrior...

i been considering painting them dissasembled, but then, you dont really get a good idea of the final product... which could suck...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Enkiel View Post
    i'm very, VERY new at this but so far, i only tried assembling, then undercoating+painting...

and i have to say, there's some very hard to reach detail that i almost have to give up on my necron warrior...

i been considering painting them dissasembled, but then, you dont really get a good idea of the final product... which could suck...
    I know the clippers are fun to use, but if you can stop giggling insanely and snipping for a minute, and only cut 1 warrior out of the sprue, you can get a general idea of how they fit together.

Then you can spray and paint the sprue, should that float one's boat.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

i dont like doing that on the sprue, because then you get unseenly moldlines and holes were the sprue is. It may be easier to hold, but cutting it of before hand more than makes up for that with the overall finished quality of the model. Also i have almost the most fun putting them together and test fitting the models, second just to playing.
    "This sure ain't no pansy Eldar Armor, Son"
    185th Cadian Armored Div.

"One Shot, One Kill"
    Western Border Patrol of Athel Loren

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've tried painting on the sprue once before and I found touching them up once I'd removed them from the sprue + assembled them so annoying I haven't done it since! For my chaos marines I assemble the whole thing except the bolter and painted them seperately. For BP + CCW armed marines I just assemble the whole thing then paint as normal.
    Recently with my Daemonhunter army I've ben assembling every thing completly then painting, with the exception of GKs who I paint in pieces.
    So overall I'd say I definately prefer assembling/ part assembling then painting as opposed to painting on the sprue. However several of my friends still swear by this method.

Hope that gives u some useful info!

Scarecrow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

I have painted very little (none that I'm proud of, or in the last 2 years) but do have a little experience. I also found it hard to get all the details painted once it is painted, but I also often found painting the pieces seperately a bit awkward (<< I cant spell).

Soon I am going to get a box of Guardians, and with those 16 I'm just going to experiment, with paint schemes and paint styles.
    I have had a couple ideas, including blu-tacking the models together then paint (so I can remove bits), or just blu-tack them to see how they would look, remove mould-lines and undercoat.. I am also going to try attaching the parts to a Pin Vice or similar and paint them.

Hope that helped.
    AGLOCO - Earn money by browsing the internet!

Quote Originally Posted by Krevzi and Me
    Warhammer is like crack. But more expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Learn parasite, that us Chaos players like to have our cake and eat it. In fact, we particularly like stealing the poor necrons' cake and eating that too, because they're too slow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I paint with a brush. shocking I know :yes:

I clip off sprue, file/clean mold lines, test fit, then glue, wash model, prime, ink, basecoat, highlight, detail, blackline, clip off bottlecap, afix to base, dullcoat, clearcoat, dullcoat.

Hmm well if it's a marine I only assemble the legs,chest,head together. everything else is painted seperately [arms, gun/weapon, backpack] then assenble all and dullcoat etc.

Dancing Peanuts? You bet! Robizzle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x4)

I do what Timberhick does....except not quite so detailed.

I clip, de-mouldlineify, glue to base, sand base, undercoat, and paint from there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you find washing to be really important?
    If you build a man a fire he will be warm for a night. If you set a man on fire he will be warm the rest of his life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It isn't that completely important..But it does add another layer of depth to the model that is easy and fast. I wash over flesh areas on my Tyranids.
    If you feel that I have been helpful, please click the star, and do the same for anyone else who gives you a hand.

4000+ Of Marines and Daemonhunters
    2000+ Of Tyranids

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast