Agonizing over White - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Agonizing over White

After much deliberation since the publication of the new Eldar Codex I have decided to take the plunge and put together a Biel-Tan army.

My first Guardian squad is sitting in front of me as I write this awaiting a base coat but my paint brush hasn't moved in over a week and that's why I'm posting this cry for help.

White! How can I paint white! :unsure:

I've tried to paint white in the past and my experiments thus far with blue ink washes have resulted in utter failure (just wash the model in blue ink they said, liars I say, my model turned from pure white to baby blue in seconds).

I've also heard that starting with black, then a coat of shadow grey and then white drybrushing can be way to go.

The Eldar plastics are unforgiving (especially when painting the helmet face-plates) and I'm loathed to jump in without getting some advice.

So I throw myself on the mercy of the folks at Librarium On-Line.

How do you get a good white finish over multiple models both big and small? :cry:

Don't hate Da Playa, hate Da Game!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    :w00t: Hooray for ass monkeys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find using a white primer, followed by a very light grey wash, followed by a white dry-brush usually turns up good. Depending on your primer you could always just leave the primer as your white and jsut paint the other parts, but i usually like to put a layer or 2 on a model before i call it complete

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Exodus View Post
    I find using a white primer, followed by a very light grey wash,
    I take it you mean a wash of watered down grey acrylic? Or do you mix black ink with white acrylic?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

I think that other companies make inks in many more colors than GW stuff. Also, some people use regular GW paints with lots of water as inks - supposedly doing it this way does not create the "pools" so much and does not give the "glossy" effect... Never tried either one myself :ninja:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

So SmokWawelski do you have any advice when it comes to painting pure white?

One of the major fears I have is painting a large expanse of white like the underside of the Grav-Tank and I don't want ruin the models.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would suggest using a good quality white spray paint semi-gloss. prime white then spray paint the model(leaving the head and gun off if you can) then blackline(the semigloss helps keep the blackline in place). once done with everything dullcoat to lose the shine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Squig69 View Post
    I've tried to paint white in the past and my experiments thus far with blue ink washes have resulted in utter failure (just wash the model in blue ink they said, liars I say, my model turned from pure white to baby blue in seconds).

You have to REALLY water down inks massively when doing a wash over a light color. Fortunately you can do this on the figure itself...my Banshees I basecoated white and then washed with purple ink. I put a drop of ink on the model, wetted my bigger brush with water, spread it around, and continued adding water until I was happy with the result. Until the ink dries, you can move it around or even just rinse the model off under the tap if you really don't like it.

After it dried I drybrushed the figure with white again. This made for a 'dusty' effect...since I was happy with lavender armor that was fine. If I had wanted white armor with shading, I would have gone over the plates and painted them white again, probably using two coats to get good coverage.

If you just don't like ink washes or want a tidier look, you can do it by hand. Spray the model an intermediate color--in your case, a light blue-grey. Now go over the model and paint a darker shade along all the cracks and crevises...it's a pain reaching them, but you can be sloppy since there will be coats over this. Now get out the mid-tone, paint the same color or a little lighter than the base coat, and paint in the armor plates and flat areas. Lastly, use pure white and paint on the highlights...depending on how blindingly bright you want the model to be, this could be just a little on the parts that stick out the most, or another coat that covers most of each armor plate.

The latter is the method I used with my white Sisters of Battle...it's very labor intensive, but it looks nice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x3)

I think what you could do is do a massively watered down wash of regal blue and then just paint skull over all the plates leaving the faint hint of blue in the crevaces.

Joe Peshi (lone wolf) kill tally:Lash Sorcerer, Ghazkull, Yriel, Termi Libby, Vulkan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Massively watered down is like a 12:1 water to ink..It works for me, but most of the time I'm not doing washing white; I am usually washing over blue.

For white, I would recommend a 9:1 water to ink, or more water and more washes. I have seen people use Zagref's technique, and I can say that it turns out very nicely if you are careful. However, as he said, it is very labour intensive.

Good luck,
    Alaric
    If you feel that I have been helpful, please click the star, and do the same for anyone else who gives you a hand.

4000+ Of Marines and Daemonhunters
    2000+ Of Tyranids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Thanks for your advice everyone but I think I'm going to take another route rather then washes or drybrushing.

Undercoat: Black
    Basecoat: Shadowgrey
    First coat: Space Wolves Grey (only on the high surfaces leaving the crevasses shadow grey)

Then (using a large brush) I'm going to thin down my skull white and hand paint the model a bit at a time (by which I mean paint all the flat surfaces individualy rather then drybrushing).

I've got a friend who manages a GW store in the UK and he's just put the finishing touches to the store Biel-tan army using this technique.

Anybody think this is a crazy idea?

I'll keep you posted on how the models come out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast