Painting Necro - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting Necro

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x1)

Painting Necron

Well, i finally got around to get the damn camera to take pic of my little guy, without too much blur (Thank to my wife)
    So, to give a little background, i started being interested in warhammer 40k aroun the beginning of this month, and decided to go with the Necron (cool story imho, and kinda like the overall look....)
    I painted 4 warrior so far, and here's my ''favourite'' (or, the one i think has the best look so far)
    any tips is welcome...

I have very limited paint, so i had to work with what i had, that's why the ''tube'' of the weapon isnt really green, nor black. I painted it green, then faded it a little with some black.. i like the effect, but i doubt its gonna be everyone cut of tea.
    I also cut a scar on his skull (on purpose ), because i figured that they might get repaired everytime they fight, but maybe the not so damaged one dont get an overhauling everytime
    I also try to follow the box, so they are very black, with very litte color (actually, a bit of green on the shoulder pad, cause they seems to have it too on the box)
    Idea welcome.
    BTW, i also just purchased a Destroyer Lord, and i'm kinda puzzled about what to do with the metal bits... is it supposed to give me choice on what to put on it? i though the ability (or weapon) were just some text to keep in mind that you choose at the beginning of the game, not some interchangeable gear on your little guy.
    One last thing about metal bits... can i work with them like plastic? or will i need different tools?

Last edited by Enkiel; November 18th, 2006 at 05:59.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x1)

Here's 2 more pictures....
    First is a side picture of the one posted first

This is actually my first ever necro. I kinda like the color i manged to mix for his armor, but unfortunately,it was a pretty hard to do mixt (Some brown, some silver and some black), and i doubt i'd ever be able to mixt it like that again... I dont like how i tried to make the armor look damaged on that one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    138 (x0)

I think the green looks really good on the shoulders

just one rant and its only some thing that bugs me so don't be offend but i think blood on blades look a bit childish (where I used to play all the kid used to plat blood on every thing)
    But like I say thats just me

I like you necrons a lot good work

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by z_man280 View Post
    I think the green looks really good on the shoulders

just one rant and its only some thing that bugs me so don't be offend but i think blood on blades look a bit childish (where I used to play all the kid used to plat blood on every thing)
    But like I say thats just me

I like you necrons a lot good work
    I only did it on one... and i gotta admit, not quite sure of the look.... Just though it added more ''in action'' than just a plain blade...

I'm working on 4 more right now... a bit more green (black being still the most used color). Trying to paint before assembling this time... so far, i can work alot more details, and i think they'll look alot better...

But god, its alot of work... i'm using 6-0 and 10-0 brush to do mostly everything, and painting a single guy is gonna take me well over 4 hours, and it wont really look like a masterpiece...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    138 (x0)

when I stared started paint I would be doing very well to paint a Space Marine a day. Now I I'm painting 4-6 Iron Warriors or a vehicle a night

Take a look at my IWs
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...pic-heavy.html

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x1)

So i painted one, to give me a rough idea of what i wanted with my next 4 Warriors... so far, i like the look of the torso, but far from sure for the legs... look like they're missing some color, not sure what yet.... might just paint their toe and nuts silver, and maybe add some more green, but not sure yet....

Torso

legging

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those look pretty good. I'm kinda new to the game to (Started around this time last year, and still don't have all my guys painted).
    DIY SM Chapter W=1 L=0 D=0
    Tau W=0 L=0 D=0

searching for sheep silentdeathz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by BigButt4 View Post
    Those look pretty good. I'm kinda new to the game to (Started around this time last year, and still don't have all my guys painted).
    Well, suffice to say i've collected warhammer for MUCH longer and still haven't painted it all :sleep:

Anyway, they are looking good but heres what I do for blood. Seing as i never really liked the brush stroke blood, it always looked like it was applied too cleanly, I now water down my red ALOT so its practically red water, then put a layer of this on the blade, not too think(dont want it to run). When it dries it should have a less "standard" look to it, and should always look different. I'll try to post pictures of one of the Blades I did in this method.

Oh, and ALWAYS remember to remove mould lines, I say this but half of the time can't even stick to my own advice

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by silentdeathz View Post
    Well, suffice to say i've collected warhammer for MUCH longer and still haven't painted it all :sleep:

Anyway, they are looking good but heres what I do for blood. Seing as i never really liked the brush stroke blood, it always looked like it was applied too cleanly, I now water down my red ALOT so its practically red water, then put a layer of this on the blade, not too think(dont want it to run). When it dries it should have a less "standard" look to it, and should always look different. I'll try to post pictures of one of the Blades I did in this method.

Oh, and ALWAYS remember to remove mould lines, I say this but half of the time can't even stick to my own advice
    I actually tried that tip on one of my other warrior, but i think i didnt have the right color, cause it ended up looking just like a small red tint, without much feeling to it. And it didnt really feel "in the action" with just that kind of color... painted like i did, it just seems like he just chopped someone's head off.

I'm almost done with my first warrior from the 2nd batch (more painted... well, almost). Just had some problem with using primer too far away from the parts, and now my warrior's arms seems like they were ran into sand a few dozen times... Hopefully, i'll have new pictures tomorrow of one finished...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

OK, first up, I like the poses you're getting, they look very 'necron' to me. I also like the colour scheme you've chosen, and the freehand lines you're using on the edges of some of the armour plates.

However, you are using very VERY thin brushes. You will find it much easier, faster and simpler to work with a size 1 or 2 brush, especially for larger areas of flat colour. You can still get a very fine line even with a larger brush if you look after the brushes and keep the paint well watered down, so I think it is generally better off to start using slightly larger brushes, and wait until you actually need tiny brushes (when you start being confident enought to do things like eyes) to buy them.

As for the metal bits of your destroyer lord, they are used to represent different items of wargear. You should choose which weapons and equipment you want to give your lord, and use those arms.
    The idea is to show directly on the model what equipment you have given it, so that your opponent can see at a glance what it is armed with (the concept is called WYSIWYG: What You See Is What You Get). It also makes your models look rather cool.
    Whatever they are attached to, they will need to be glued with superglue, rather than polystyrene cement (which you should use for plastic on plastic joints). If the metal parts are heavy, and the joint is small, you may need to pin the joint, which involves drilling very small (diameter) holes into both parts, and use some metal pin (like a section of paperclip etc) to stregthen the joint.

Hopefully that was quite useful for you, best of luck with the necrons, and keep up the good work :yes:
    -t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast