Just finished Chapter Master (4 pics) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just finished Chapter Master (4 pics)

Just finished the commander for my DIY SM army. I kinda went for a "Went through Hell, and back" look. Constructive Critiscism(sp?) welcome.

Well I'm off to paint some rank-and-file troops, bye.

DIY SM Chapter W=1 L=0 D=0
    Tau W=0 L=0 D=0

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not too shabby, I really like the combination of gold and black. Loks quite nice, especially because you didn't use too much of the gold. You did a good job making him look battle hardened. The pictures aren't the clearest (I'm afraid) so I won't be able to offer a whole lot of advice.

I'd recommend touching up the eyes a bit; though I'm not 100% certain if they really need to be touched up due to the photographs. The sword I'd also recommend perhaps making a different colour, such as silver, or black and red/blue to make it appear like a glowing power sword. Lastly for the hole in his chest I'd make it a bit metallic as opposed to the black it cuurently is. If a whole was blasted in his chest it would reveal the metallic underlayer of gizmos and what not, and may even be a bit on the scorched side. Other than that great job. I look forward to seeing the rest of your army.

Cheers

Mikhail

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

for the most part its :yes:
    however, the battle damage looks a bit too clean. i would suggest making the damage more random, as the bullet hole in his frontal armor looks like a perfect circle and the broken eagle on his backpack has a striaght line cut through it.

nice work over all

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I think he is good. When it comes to the battle damage you could do more. Try to paint some metalic paint onto a few areas to show that the paint has been scratched off. Alittle bit of brown ink added to the sratched areas will make it look dirty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem for me is that he doesn't look like a chapter master. He looks very plain, like a vet. sargeant, rather than the leader of a 1000 of the galaxy's best troops.
    Life is too serious to be taken seriously

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the replies, and I know you can't see it in the pics, but I painted the damaged areas with a mix of Boltgun Metal, and Chaos Black, so it does have the shiny metal look to it.
    Tau W=0 L=0 D=0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

You need to find a way to take better pictures. They are too dark and blurry. Closer shots would also be nice - don't shrink them down so much maybe...

Painting wise they appear clean (meant not messy). I am having trouble discerning the colors (probably due to the picture quality) but I am guessing they are grey and gold? I see some mold lines on the helmet and elsewhere. In the future it may be worth the etra time to scrape them off before priming.

Otherwise it seems like you are off to a good start. Better pictures provided will give you more accurate feedback. Best of luck!

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol I do need to take better pictures, the armor is actually black!
    Tau W=0 L=0 D=0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something I do with my special characters/masters/important units is not use helmets. it adds another level of depth to the model. Every model can have a helmet right?
    If you feel that I have been helpful, please click the star, and do the same for anyone else who gives you a hand.

4000+ Of Marines and Daemonhunters
    2000+ Of Tyranids

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

Simply from a modelling point of view, I don't think that model is sufficiently big, imposing, ornate or intricate to be the master of a chapter.
    Have a look at Marneus Calgar, Commander Dante, High Marshall Helbrecht, Logan Grimnar and Commander Azrael. They are all (well, the more modern ones) absolutely covered in decoration, weilding ornate weapons etc.
    The model as it is is absolutely fine, but if you put him on the battlefield infront of me, I would assume he was a veteran sergeant, rather than Master of a chapter...

Maybe that is just me, but it's something to think about

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast