WIP Death Korps test mini - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WIP Death Korps test mini

Hi all,
    I thought I'd post some pictures of my latest project to see what people think. Personally, I'm not too happy with the colours, but I can't work out why. The browns all need more highlights/shadows, none of the metal bits have been done, and the same with the armour (which will eventually be black (probably)). If anyone could suggest what I should change - I was thinking of changing the grey to brown? Would that fix it? Or do you think it will look ok when its finished?

Any other comments/criticisms are welcome. Oh, and yes, I do know theres a giant mold line across his left forearm, and I swear it wasn't there before I started painting...

Enjoy.

(the three pictures link to larger versions)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

its the green. Death Korps to me, are black clad troopers with minimal colors. I love the models though, forge world should be a little more accesable. You should stick to black and dark browns, to add to the ominous feel of the troopers. You might also want to paint the inside of the coat a deep red. I find red goes very well with black and really dark browns. Hope it helps
    "This sure ain't no pansy Eldar Armor, Son"
    185th Cadian Armored Div.

"One Shot, One Kill"
    Western Border Patrol of Athel Loren

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it look pretty good so far, perhaps some highlight on the leg and the weapon will be great.

Never interrupt your opponent when you know he is making a mistake!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

to me it looks minimalist and gothic, which screams death korps, so id say good job so far, perhaps id add a bit more depth but its a time thang essp with a proposed guard army!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine
    If you buy a fire prism you get a complete falcon plus the extra bits required to make ti into a complete waste of space

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x0)

For models like this just look at some pictures of WWI German uniforms, as the Death Korps look like Germans to me, except the Helmets they look french, anyway yeah they look good so far so keep it up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Ohhhhh I like it so far. I will withhold the rest of my thoughts until it is done. :w00t:
    I'm an American, religious, male and a proud Republican. You have your beliefs and (gasp) I have mine. Deal with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    To be "owned" in a game or otherwise is to be miserably defeated by an opponent or an opposing team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll finish this model off as is, and then try for a darker, greyer look on the next one I do - something like the FW painted models here.

_Toast_: thanks for the tip about the dark red, I'll definately give that a go, but I might save it for the officers, to make them stand out a bit more. Perhaps for the stormtroopers as well (when I get some).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x3)

I see no problems witht he scheme i think it looks fantastic. All the colors have a grey undertone which kinda makes them seem drab...which is exactly the feel you want with the korps de kreig.

Joe Peshi (lone wolf) kill tally:Lash Sorcerer, Ghazkull, Yriel, Termi Libby, Vulkan.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

I think that I would drop the green, but that is just me

Hunched Over My Workbench, furiously painting away.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

looks great so far, but a few thoughts I had...

1) the 'french blue' inner coat colour doesn't really work for me. It might just be the computer monitor, but it just seems a little too close to the outer green without either contrasting a bit more, or just being the same.

2) you might want to have more than one colour of brown. It looks (at least on my screen) that the wood on the las-gun is the same colour as his trousers, gloves, gas mask, and the straps for his gas mask filter unit. A bit more variation might help make everything appear more realistic.

3) I don't know if you plan to do so, but the puttees really should be a different colour than the boots.

4) Other than that, I really like it. I love the drab, bleak colouration.

I personally wouldn't do a black coat. Black isn't a very common colour in military wear for one HUGE reason. Persons in black stand out like a sore thumb (even in the dark). There is very little in nature that is truly black, if you want to blend in, green, grey, brown, or even blue are better.
    I'd avoid the red lining too. It seems a bit grand and flashy for the Death Korps (IMO). They aren't Vostroyans, after all
    Baby, when I'm the voice of reason, we've got problems!
    ~artificer

Someone should stop
    Jervis "let's make it easy enough for a 3 year old to play" Johnson
    before he turns 40k into checkers

~anon

+ Reply to Thread