BTP - (2) Ogre Tyrant Conversions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

BTP - (2) Ogre Tyrant Conversions

Two Ogre Tyrants

While working on a Chaos Mortals army, I needed some Sabretusks. It turned out cheaper just to buy the whole Ogre Hunter kit, so I ended up with three extra Ogre Hunter bodies…

Inhale…

So, we decided to make them into Tyrants. A trip through the Assembly Room under the expert hand of Bill Devlin and they were turned into Tyrants. The Giant sprues are very very handy.

Blue Table Painting: Gallery List

What more to say than that? I did the grey-skinned one last, adding more color to him. My wife thought the first one looked washed out. I guess that’s the dilemma of Ogres—how can you add color? They really call for earthtones and natural colors all over.

The metal parts are Vallejo Gunmetal Grey (mmmm I love that color) with a black glaze on top and re-highlighted with Gunmetal, then a final light highlight of regular silver. Traditional metallics are really starting to grow on me again.

The static grass is one of my two new favorites, both by Woodland Scenics and available in giant cannisters (that could flock like five armies each): Wild Honey (on the Tyrants), and Harvest Gold.

Shawn G.
    BTP

Last edited by bluetablepainting; November 25th, 2006 at 19:10.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow i'm must say I like them alot even if normally I hate ogre model.

I think BTP are really making some nice convertion/painting. This thread should maybe give some ideas to ogre player.

One thing though, the second ogre, I don't know if is just me but the blade section miss something to show that the ogre have it in his hand, if you see my point. Anyway maybe is just me that having some hallucination

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

No, it's not an optical illusion. On the Tyrant with the giant club his hands really don't look like he's holding it. It was a tough call-- the exaggerated effect of him holding this giant outrageous weapon meant that there was some sacrifice of realism at the hand/weapon join. The original version had a smaller stub on the lower end that was disproportionate so we changed that.

For the one with the bladed weapon it's actually the correct hand/weapon.

Shawn G.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I think these are very well done. I especially like the first one with the big wooden club with spikes driven through it. I can see the pale look on the second one. I find that the best way to deal with something like that is to make the paint light but not pale. Additionally you must then consider not making it look to warm, rather tricky in my experience.

I think the area that needs work is the sheen on the models. The glaze used though I don't fully understand it is making the parts look like a similar material. Basically the same technique being used is making them look like they are all a part of his body.
    His flesh and clothing look connected in what they are made of. Some light drybrushing could easily sort that out. Matt varnish especially on the wood and clothes would help a great deal because orgres are not wet looking typically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love them. Nothing more to add.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Leech View Post
    I think the area that needs work is the sheen on the models. The glaze used though I don't fully understand it is making the parts look like a similar material. Basically the same technique being used is making them look like they are all a part of his body.

His flesh and clothing look connected in what they are made of. Some light drybrushing could easily sort that out. Matt varnish especially on the wood and clothes would help a great deal because orgres are not wet looking typically.
    Thanks, that's a really, really good idea. I also think that the light I'm using to take the pics is too bright.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

i like them, but i do not like the use of a chainsword in the one model. It doesnt fit with a fantasy setting, because chainsaws back then were peasants heaving and hoeing a big saw blade back and forth...other than that i like them, i especially like the giant club on the first hunter.
    "This sure ain't no pansy Eldar Armor, Son"
    185th Cadian Armored Div.

"One Shot, One Kill"
    Western Border Patrol of Athel Loren

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, if you look closely at it (or follow the link & check out the other images), you'll see that it isn't actually a chainsword, but some sort of GW psuedo-fantasy sword with a serrated edge.

Eric
    Blue Table Painting
    --Miniatures painting service. High quality, good prices, and quick turnaround.
    www.bluetablepainting.com

+ Reply to Thread