Learning to Blend - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Learning to Blend

Hello,
    I'm having troubles with my Tyranid army. I want to use some nice Blending techniques for the Carapace and the ends of the Devourers on my Tyrant but every time i try to blend it ends up really messy

My experiments have been on Termagaunts where i get a little bit of black paint and paint it into the Crevices of the Carapace, then i get another brush and try to draw it out from the crevice but every time i do it just ends up being a big blotchy wash over the shell or it doesn't draw out properly.

Could anyone help me with some tips about blending?
    Where should i start?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Life is Nothing without challenge

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Badruk the Mighty's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find that acrylic paints tend to be too runny and dry to quickly to blend easily. When creating a blend I use artist oil paints (for canvas paintings). You can get them in a thicker consistency so they don't run and they stay wet for hours, allowing you the time to create some great colour blends between the first and last colours applied to the model. Oil paints are available in tubes from most art and craft shops.
    If you drop a shell on your foot an it don't urt, your shoota aint big enough!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

Sounds interesting Badruck. Do you have any pictures of examples? Do the oil paints not chip easier?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Most of the painters on this forum, many of whome blend, use acrylics, they are compartively easy to blend.

There are 2 forms of blending - wet blending and dry blending or layering.

you appear to be trying the latter, which is the easier technique. go to the stickies at the top of the forum you will find many tutorials, but I supsect your main problem is that the paint is not watered down sufficiently and you are trying to put too much on in one coat, look at my avatyar, the blue on him has between 20-30 coats on it
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Senior Member Badruk the Mighty's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dodge -
    Yeah, oils arn't as durable as the acrylics, but I collect mostly orks, so chipped paint surfaces are in character. A layer of matt/gloss varnish (depending on the effect you want) can seal it in though.
    Sorry, don't have any photos, as my camera isn't very good for detailed close-up shots.
    If you drop a shell on your foot an it don't urt, your shoota aint big enough!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Practice Practice Practice....

I have been trying this now for several months and each time the results seem to get better and better... but it can be frustrating, and if the area/detail is too small it might not be worth it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I think you may be putting too much paint on the brush. You really need to use the minimum possible amount when you are blending. You should also have it slightly watered down. If watering you paints sounds like a pain I suggest you keep a tub aside for that purpose only.

Watered down paints restrict the extent to which you can affect the model also a limited amount of paint gives you less to work with and worry about. All the paint has to go somewhere on the model so having limits prevents mistakes.

You may also be holding the brush wrong. Try to use the flat of the brush to blend not the tip. Also use a detail brush never anything larger.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    There are 2 forms of blending - wet blending and dry blending or layering.
    I've been looking through the stickied links, and I can't find an example of "dry" blending. Can you a) give a brief rundown of the technique here or b) point me to a good article/tutorial on this?
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My advice is to increase colors very slowly, so that you have less of a chance of making a mistake. Also TAKE YOUR TIME. Its not worth it to blend for 30 min. get in a rush and mess up the whole blend with the last coat. I'm also working on a 'Fex, so I'll post some pics. I believe acrylics are much easier to use as they flow better.

Digamma Decimitio Duodecies-Death Destruction Doom

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    I've been looking through the stickied links, and I can't find an example of "dry" blending. Can you a) give a brief rundown of the technique here or b) point me to a good article/tutorial on this?
    Dry blending is the sad as layering, that's basically progressing lighter and lighter with each layer but making the changes a slow progress so it looks like a smooth blend.

KU

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast