GW Painting Requirements - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GW Painting Requirements

What exactly are GW gaming requirements and where are they listed? As I understand it they are 3 colors and no primer showing. I'm not sure my models qualify... I base my models black, sometimes with primer sometimes not, then i highlight the armor edges and such in chainmail, then paint in blood red the guns, or other decals. After this is finished I color the eyes pink. So that is 3 colors but i'm not sure i can justify the eyes... so can I use the black basecoat as one as well? I think i'm making this more confusing than it should be lol... clarification please!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

I assume you are talking about the requirement for tournaments?..

Dont know where they have it listed anywhere. Normally it will specify for each tournament. For example, in the memo explaining whether its 40k or FB, the ranking criteria, the points size & the venue etc.. Usually it will say something in there about the minimum requirements for painting..

I'd say what you described probably JUST qualifies. Its kind of wroughting the system to do the bare min though, you should do a little bit more. Atleast a base coat, rather than just highlighting the undercoat..
    If you are only gonna highlight black then atleast do it with grey, not silver

Cheers
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by EcchuBlessu View Post
    What exactly are GW gaming requirements and where are they listed? As I understand it they are 3 colors and no primer showing. I'm not sure my models qualify... I base my models black, sometimes with primer sometimes not, then i highlight the armor edges and such in chainmail, then paint in blood red the guns, or other decals. After this is finished I color the eyes pink. So that is 3 colors but i'm not sure i can justify the eyes... so can I use the black basecoat as one as well? I think i'm making this more confusing than it should be lol... clarification please!
    I'm pretty sure that I answered this in another section for you.. but in case I didn't.

"requirements" and such are in the RTT rules section. There are standard sets of rules handed down for official tourneys. I don't think you can get them at the GW website, because you have to receive them when you register your event for an RTT. Find a website for a con or something holding an RTT and they will have the painting regs posted.

Here's how I get around the black basecoat.. its cheesy, but just put a watered down coat of chaos black over it. I think it makes the model look "cleaner" anyhow, and then do your highlighting. Besides, if you're using chaos black on your model, you want to highlight all of the black with some subtle greys to make them "pop" anyhow.
    So yes, if you are using black as your base model, just take the 10 minutes to paint over it so you can truthfully tell the judge that its "chaos black" and not primer
    red for the weapons, chainmail, and some decals.

The rules are forgiving usually though, its to keep people from showing up to events with an army with CB basecoat, and drybrush with grey.. period and that's that. Its a tourney, and its meant to showcase the hobby(that's what tourneys do and are), you don't want really poor examples of the hobby floating around and even possibly winning the event.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    222 (x7)

If you're struggling to use 3 colours apart from the black basecoat (which you really shouldn't be), try painting some of the metal parts silver/metal.

Simple but it will work!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

Its a tourney, and its meant to showcase the hobby(that's what tourneys do and are), you don't want really poor examples of the hobby floating around and even possibly winning the event
    Yeah exactly, but the method you described really isnt much better than just the drybrushed primer..
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One way to add an extra colour is to paint two different types of metal.
    Examples; Brazen Brass on some parts, and Boltgun Metal on others.
    or Tin Bitz and Chainmail.
    Try painting kill markings or squad markings....:unsure:
    In the darkness, look to the blind to show the way

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya know what what about the necron players? All of my warriors are undercoated black and are painted silverish (mix of boltgun and tinbitz)
    |T|O|O|-|L|A|Z|Y|-my anti-drug

The rep button () is your friend!

Be off-topic and visit www.theopia.com

Space Wolves (500) 6-0-3

+ Reply to Thread