Painting images on cape - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Has a monkey! Imperialis_Dominatus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Painting images on cape

Hey all, I'm going to start a Marine Chapter (as some may know :shifty and I was wondering if anyone has tips for painting an image on a cape. You know how all those SM banners have angelicized (word?) warriors fighting off Daemonic foes, or their representation? Well, I kinda want to do that on my Commander. The idea is that there will be an angel (the Angels Ascendant :w00t with a spear fighting a blue hydra-like figure (the Violators). It will probably represent a Chapter relic and count as Daemonic Resilience for it's protection.

I've got a drawing of it in front of me but I draw pretty small. I'll try to get a larger one scanned, and one of my Commander.

Will this be incredibly hard? I'm figuring I'll need to paint the model in parts, but other than that...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know what your talking about and it is hard from what I've heard,especialy on something small.I have heard that some people just sketch it with a small pen or something,I think its called a micro pen or out lining it with a micro brush,I'm not exactly sure what its called so don't take my word on it.But thats what I've heard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x1)

god i couldn't even conceive of doing something like that. I personally think that it is impossible, unless you are extremely good, like golden demon good. Another idea would be to do it on a flat surface though, at least then it might be manageable. Then again, i have never attempted this, nor have i seen it done, so im just going by what i know

good luck!
    "In dedicato imperatum ultra articulo mortis"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
    god i couldn't even conceive of doing something like that. I personally think that it is impossible, unless you are extremely good, like golden demon good. Another idea would be to do it on a flat surface though, at least then it might be manageable. Then again, i have never attempted this, nor have i seen it done, so im just going by what i know

good luck!
    you mean like this chaps cape :wacko:
    Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine
    If you buy a fire prism you get a complete falcon plus the extra bits required to make ti into a complete waste of space

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    222 (x7)

A lot of people like to draw freehand images with a pencil first, to get the outline and things, so maybe you could attempt this?

It's a very difficult to do, which I've never attempted properly, so the best of luck to you!

*Nudges Gareth *

Good luck!

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Personally I'd say don't. Unless you have some skill with freehand the painting of a image on the back of a cloak or something that small will be extremely difficult and will possibly not turn out how you desire. I would just do a small freehand boarder, start small and work up to the small Michaelangelo style artwork for later when you are better at it.

But if you must, I'd browse CMON and other sites with rather 'professional' painters on there and ask their advice, then practice lots on paper then spare cloaks etc before you attempt it.

KU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with Flamebeard. Don't try it. not on a cloak. Not if you've never done it before.

If you really feel that you must, then do a banner.

Prime white. Paint the banner completely. Matte seal the banner.
    Draw your image on in pencil.
    Trace THAT with a Micron Pen (smallest size).
    Follow those lines as a quide as you paint.

It is very difficult, but can be very valuable.

If you don't already have some, I'd suggest looking for some SM back banners as bits (you can get them in lots on ebay, for sure), so you have plenty to practice with. The first ones will not likely look that good.

Don't be afraid to try it. that's how we learn and become better. No Golden Demon winner ever picked up a brush and was a genius with it from the first time.

Eric
    Blue Table Painting
    --Miniatures painting service. High quality, good prices, and quick turnaround.
    www.bluetablepainting.com

Hex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 (x2)

If I ever want to do that I use a black fineliner (0.5) technical pen. It almost looks as if I've painted it, and produces a good effect. As suggested don't try otherwise, and if you're desperate, look at someone who has done it like a pro from Cool Mini or Not as said by KU or ask one on here - rp252 and Gareth are great painters as I see.

Hex
    "Well... that hurt" - Vampire Jon Skellan (Mannfred's right hand man) after being beaten up, falling down an underground waterfall and being impaled by a stalactite.

Chilli Fueled Heretic danjones87's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1329 (x8)

Hey there.

My painting skills have greatly increased IMHO over the last few months due to trying techniques and ideas that i did dare try before because i thought they were well out of my legaue. Only by experimenting will you become a better painter.

I think that you should go for it but in a more simplified form. Starters, only black and white with greys, this will make you concentrate on just painting the actual lines not the layering. Id do somthing like a angel floating with a spear stabbing a snake or other simpile mythical creature.

DJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

76 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Snuggles View Post
    you mean like this chaps cape :wacko:
    wow, ok thats just very cool, havnt seen anything like that before :wacko:
    "In dedicato imperatum ultra articulo mortis"

+ Reply to Thread