My first models (lots o pics) - Worldeaters - Advice plz! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x1)

My first models (lots o pics) - Worldeaters - Advice plz!

So these are a collection of pretty much my first models... little background on myself (self-fluff, yay!), I started playing a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, back before the multi-pose SM plastics came out, back when every plastic space marine was made in the exact same pose, back when the vast majority of minis were metal with plastic arms... anyway, back then I played Iron Warriors mainly because all I had to do to paint them was drybrush them silver and paint the banding gold. Anyway, I picked up the hobby again after probably something like 10 years and went for Worldeaters, and here's a little showcase of my first real painting attempts... pics aren't that great quality. The camera I use shows tons of detail but the lighting sucks. Anyway, here you go:

Mah Leftenant

I made the mistake of starting out by buying my Lord and painting him before painting any of my regular troops. So he's pretty crappy.

An Aspiring Champion

Looks better though he's a lot of black, to save time.

Random Worldeater

Two more Worldeaters

Four in a row

Another four -- this is for murderous lunatic school graduation class of 40,240

Detail of Worldeater who still has some of his Iron Warriors armour

Three pics of my bike Champion with Raptor powerclaw

All of the above pictures with the exception of the biker were shaded using simply watered-down black paint. The following uses actual inks. I actually like the look of the paint better, it gives it more of a dull and weathered look rather than the ink which makes it rather shiny...

Two inked Worldeaters

Last but not least, in an effort to expand away from black and red I tried to paint a Worldeater in pre-heresy colours. Its my absolute first attempt at painting light-coloured armour... I'm still not sure if I'm happy with it.

So comments, suggestions and advice welcome... Specifically I have a big problem with having to load layer after layer of red onto the damned models to get a solid colour. I know airbrushing can remedy this but that's out of the question cost-wise. Recently I've found that undercoating the models in red right off the bat helps (as opposed to undercoating with black), but is there anything else I can try?

Thanks

Takka n' Wakka's Dakka Attacka! 33W / 6L / 1D

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in a bit of a hurry but I say... drybrush! LAYER AFTER LAYER!

Takes awhile but it looks good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks good for your first attempt in 10 years.

Some advices I can give you..

They look pretty flat. Highlighting is very easy and it makes the models look so much better.

Remove mold lines.

Water down your paints. Especially when you are painting red you should paint one layer then let it try then paint another layer, and keep going until you've reached the red color you like. Very thinned down paint always. Many thin layers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x1)

Yeah I really shoulda done more to get rid of the mold lines heh...

And I'll try watering down my paints from now on, see how it goes... and @puddy, do you mean drybrushing to get red?

thx guys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

well theres nothing WRONG with what your doing, the only thing i would say, is that a paint job is only as good as the time put in, maybe just spend a bit longer on each model to make them all that bit better, it looks as if your capeable of more if you spend the extra time, it is a pain to paint red over a black undercoat btw
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine
    If you buy a fire prism you get a complete falcon plus the extra bits required to make ti into a complete waste of space

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

You could make them look instantly better... by basing them

Urban flock, grass flock. Break out the PVA and get wild! As wild as one can with harmless glue and sand anyway...
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Personally my first thoughts were messy and flat. Then I read you've not painted for practically a decade and remembered my own about the same time ago. Here is what I suggest;

- Water your paints. It makes them smoother and easier to paint with.

- Take your time. Unless you are on a timed project then I can say you need to take more
    time with your mini's. It's worth going back to clean up overlapping parts of paint off of other bits.

- Clean you mini's. Mouldlines show really badly when paint is applied, make your you check each part before you glue them together to get rid of each line. A knife or needle file work well here.

- Shading and Highlighting. This will improve your mini's alot. Shading can be as simple as washing with an ink or as complex as shading down or blending. Same goes for highlighting, makes a big difference. One point here, be careful with red. If you add white it goes pink, I personally use orange to highlight.

- Colour coordination. I noticed that your mini's are painted very haphazard, in some cases it looks like paint has been just splashed on it. Use of colours and placement can be just as important as the colours colours themselves.

They look alright but need some work. I suggest you look at this site, might not be GW mini's used but you will get my points.

Brushthralls.com

Hope this helps.

KU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x1)

Thanks Ulrik.. TBH I had completely forgotten about watering down paint. I remember having known it at some time in the past but it just never occured to me. As for time... well, hell, I feel this takes too long as it is! Each model is like 1-2 days work (which goes to show I probably need to practice optimizing painting time...) and to give a hint I bought the 24 zerkers I have like 9 months ago and I've only painted 14 of them... a lot of great hints. They're all shaded to varying degrees, unfortunately the flash of the camera obliterates them almost entirely.

Colour coordination. I noticed that your mini's are painted very haphazard,
    That was KINDA the point (but I understand it probably seems a little TOO crappy)... they are Worldeaters CSMs afterall, I doubt they spend a lot of time in the mirror making themselves look pretty! But I know there's a fine line between painting a miniature to make it look like the guy himself is sloppy and untidy, and the painting itself being sloppy and untidy.. hehe...

Oh also, one problem I ran into with inks is after they're all done and ready to be varnished, when I apply the varnish is "re-activates" the ink and re-spreads it, which is why some of them look like they've just got random black crap spewed over them (particularly noticable on the white one, I think)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

You need to be more consistent. You keep jumping around from black to red to metal. Consistency will help in presentation. You should shade them more. Use a detail brush and some watered down black paint. All you need is small lines in the cracks. Limit the amount of paint you have on your brush so that it is barely wet this prevents mistakes because you can make very few with so little paint.

You need highlights too. Mix red and orange together and again use a detail brush. Paint using the flat of the brush not the tip. All you need to do is leave an impression on the raised areas. To do better metallics paint the area you want metal with black. Then you use a small drybrush to apply boltgun metal. Paint it from every angle as I can see that you are missing loads of areas on the sides and seemingly highlighting the black with metal. This means strokes in every direction.

Once this is done use chainmail as a highlight. You may find that you have got paint into some of the cracks. Defeat this by using brown ink as a wash. Use only a tiny amount on the brush and it will hide all the unsightly mistakes instantly. It will also give tha metal areas more depth,

The pre-heresy colour scheme is giving you trouble because the paint is too thick. You need thinner paint. Also lighter colours tend to show up rough brush-strokes very clearly, hence why dark colours are so popular. Use slow even strokes and the results will be better. I suggest shading it with grey.

Hope this helps out a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW, I also painted Zerkers when I was new, don't collect them though.
    Here is my first Zerker, though second worldeater because I painted a biker first.
    He is just drybrushed, it takes time but it looks good (although this fig isn't the best example). Take your time

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast