Inks for Black Models? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inks for Black Models?

Well, I read through a bunch of the tutorials on washes and I get what you're supposed to do largely. Inks and washes are just really watered down colors that will seep into joints to add more depth, right? I would like to add more depth to my models, but I don't know how you're supposed to do that when they're base coated black. My guys kind of look like Alpha legion... Chaos black as the main color with Chainmail highlights, red on special areas like spikes, and pink eyes. I don't know how an ink or wash would add depth or more pop to a black model. What else can I do to make it more pleasing? I was thinking of taking some codex grey and painting around the joints but i'm not sure if that will draw too much attention. Hlep!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    58 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by EcchuBlessu View Post
    Well, I read through a bunch of the tutorials on washes and I get what you're supposed to do largely. Inks and washes are just really watered down colors that will seep into joints to add more depth, right? I would like to add more depth to my models, but I don't know how you're supposed to do that when they're base coated black. My guys kind of look like Alpha legion... Chaos black as the main color with Chainmail highlights, red on special areas like spikes, and pink eyes. I don't know how an ink or wash would add depth or more pop to a black model. What else can I do to make it more pleasing? I was thinking of taking some codex grey and painting around the joints but i'm not sure if that will draw too much attention. Hlep!
    Highlights with codex grey would probably be best.
    R.I.P. Iron Warriors, you will be missed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I use black carapaces on my Tyranids, go to the gallery if you want some examples. The effect I get if left black is rather dull so I use a dark cold green on the edges of the carapace. I drybrush this up with progressively lighter shades until I use white. I then use a green ink stain to deepen it and help merge it together.

The effect is a black with a deep alien green look to it but it is still noticably black. You could try to lightly drybrush a colour ontp the black areas of your models that you believe suits the way they look. Try doing it towards one end of thier armour, such as the tops of the shins then the thighs and so on. Red could work. You then give them a deep crimson wash which will blend it all together.

One thing to remember about using ink on black is to make sure the ink has a dark pigment. If it is light it will not shade but actually fill in the cracks with a lighter colour. Hope this helps out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hm

I like the sound of using a really dark green to add some contrast. I take it this is something that is applied before you highlight armor details like shoulderpads? Is it just a normal ink/drybrush where after the model is basecoated in the primary color you go over it with the dark green? I found the gallery, but I'm not sure which fex you are referring to... the toxifex?

Could I possibly post a picture of my rather sloppy models and get some advice? I just started painting two months ago and I don't hate it, but I'd much prefer to be playing the game. It gets really tedious and I don't have a steady hand, so I am just trying to go for something that is simplistic and looks good on the tabletop.
    Last edited by EcchuBlessu; December 14th, 2006 at 04:10.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Just getting into inks myself (Yes, I'm posting pics soon), and there's one other purpose to washes beyond just "outlining." Washes also "tint" flat surfaces, too, especially with inks (as opposed to watered down paint washes). For example, blue ink on my mithril silver Grey Knights give them a "blue steel" look.

As for your black, yes, gray is the common highlight color. One alternative I'm hearing about to the "ordinary" gray is to use shadow gray. It's basically a bluish, smoked gray color that is a little more muted than ordinary gray. Some like it better for black. I'm still trying to figure out which I like better, myself. I'm about to paint a ravenwing landspeeder, and I think I'm gonna use standard "codex gray" on that one.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool

So you think Shadow Grey would be more subdued than codex grey? I use chainmail color highlights around all the raised edges, but I was thinking of putting codex in the depressio areas and arond the joints. I definately am going for subdued though... let me know how that speeder turns out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When the black templar came out GW put out an article with tips and pointers on painting black armor. I've used some of them when paint my Legion of the Damned, check out the link.

Warhammer 40,000 - Black Templar Space Marines

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks

Thanks for the article, it looks to be useful. Although it seems sort of incomplete... I mean, is it just showing you how to do the highlights before you apply the normal chainmail to the shoulderpads, or is that supposed to be it? Looking at the Black Templars, all they have is white in the middle of the shoulderpads... so I am curious how to apply this to Chaos. It seems our models have much more areas to be highlighted around raised armor edges. Just trying to get an alpha legion-esque model with some pop.

This is so difficult!
    Last edited by EcchuBlessu; December 14th, 2006 at 20:03.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I like the sound of using a really dark green to add some contrast. I take it this is something that is applied before you highlight armor details like shoulderpads? Is it just a normal ink/drybrush where after the model is basecoated in the primary color you go over it with the dark green? I found the gallery, but I'm not sure which fex you are referring to... the toxifex?

I am refering to this lot.http://www.librarium-online.com/gall...mageuser=15040 Sorry I didn't leave a link before that was rather sloppy. About applying this effect I actually do this after most of the other painting has been done. It is the same effect more or less on all the carapaces.

It really depends on what you are dealing with. Because the armour on Chaos marines is different from the carapace on Tyranids it will probably be easier to paint things in a different order from what I do.

I always paint the area black first I don't just stick with a basecoat. The greens are all applied after this is done. Then the inks and some highlights. Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the article, it looks to be useful. Although it seems sort of incomplete... I mean, is it just showing you how to do the highlights before you apply the normal chainmail to the shoulderpads, or is that supposed to be it? Looking at the Black Templars, all they have is white in the middle of the shoulderpads... so I am curious how to apply this to Chaos. It seems our models have much more areas to be highlighted around raised armor edges. Just trying to get an alpha legion-esque model with some pop.

This is so difficult!
    Yeah, it's just showing different ways on how to highlight black armor. I thought that maybe it would provide that 'pop' that you were looking for.
    If you can post a pic of what you have now maybe we could give tips on how to improve.

+ Reply to Thread