New Eldar Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Eldar Army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x7)

New Eldar Army

Im starting an eldar army and having real trouble deciding a colour scheme for it. I dont like going with GW colours, preferring to have a more personalized army on the table. Ive narrowed it down quite a bit using pics from the net and colour enhancements and now i ask for your advice!

My first idea is to have the entire army black and silver but paint the details in the aspects colours, like the above hawk. This would tie my army together but still define the different warriors. (So scorpions would be black and silver with green bits etc)

Secondly i just like this scheme. But having the full army the same colours would lose the individuality of the aspects.

This is my favourite. Orange and blue. again though it loses individuality. but i cant say id mind!

I quite like green and purple as well!

A final idea, which id love to do. Is paint the army with an elements theme. So light blues for air on the skimmers and hawks, earthy browns for the guardians/scorpions, firey reds for the warwalkers/wraithlord (with flames painted on).

advice please.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Hunched Over My Workbench, furiously painting away.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

personally I like the black & silver with some of the aspect shrine colours.

From a painting perspective, you get a break from painting the SAME d*mned thing all the time, and from a gaming perspective, it makes it a LOT easier to tell what's what at a glance (even from across the table).

On a similar note, an army united by a single colour scheme, but with nice squad level variations is always more pleasing than one that is a single, uninterrupted, scheme.

I've always personally had a grudge against the primary coloured eldar (I mean, what are they? big fans of sport?) and always love to see an eldar force done in subtle (or at least muted) colours.

good luck, which ever way you decide, please post pix as you work.
    Baby, when I'm the voice of reason, we've got problems!
    ~artificer

Someone should stop
    Jervis "let's make it easy enough for a 3 year old to play" Johnson
    before he turns 40k into checkers

~anon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    258 (x5)

Hi Mace, hows it going mate?

I agree with artificer; the black, silver and aspect colours sounds like the best idea. You could even work the whole "elements" idea into that but be careful not to overload your palette with too many colours. As articifer said, it will look very nice, and allow you to easily identify different units on the tabletop whilst at the same time providing a unified look to the force.

What colours are you thinking of painting non-aspect units, such as guardians, jetbikes etc?

Cheers,
    Rich

"Praise" for rp252:
    Da Mighty Camel:
    No, for your information, rp252 is lonely because he is hideous
    Jaffar_Hasad:
    Behind his ugly bloodthirster face, there's some wisdom stored away for moments like this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    979 (x8)

While I agree with Artificer and mr.252 on prefering the silver and black scheme, and on having a generally themed army; I would say the best place to start is on deciding what you want the guardians, seers, wraith-units and vehicles to look like.
    If you are happy with these guys being plain black/silver, then figure out what will differentiate the aspects from this scheme.

Personally, I don't really like metallics on eldar, because fluff-wise they usually use psychically-attuned plastics as thier main building material, but there is nothing saying your plastics can't be metal coloured I suppose

If you do go for the black/silver scheme, then I would reccomend you definately use other colours on every model you can. If you leave them plain silver on black, I think they will probably look a bit unfinished, especially models that are usually so colourful. Maybe choose a medium blue or something similar as a common third colour. Just looking at the model you've shown, the blue really ties the whole guy together, IMO.

Anyway, best of luck mate, and let us know how it goes :yes:

-t.
    minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x7)

I think guardians would fit nicely into an earth theme, along with rangers. Any skimmers and jetbikes would be air. Most of the heavy stuff would be fire. My Characters, lords, psychers would have their own colours like pinks and purples, or even a lightning theme.

I Think I will go for the black and silver theme. And use elements. That way even if i paint one or two models really colourful (Like a farseer) He'll still fit in as long as theres a little black on him.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I think that a black and silver colour scheme could work very well. I think you should try to think about what parts of them will be silver and what parts will be black. I have found that a good way to paint silver is to first paint the area black. Then drybrush it with boltgun metal.

After that paint drybrush it lightly with chainmail. Then paint along the edges with silver in a fairly bold way. This gives an effect sort of like they have in a anime cartoon with the robots. It also looks more 3D than just plain old silver.

If you you black and silver though be aware that these two alone may appear somewhat desolate. An extra colour being common in your army would be a good idea. Blue will be cold and red hot. In this way you could as you have said incorporate the feel of what they are.

+ Reply to Thread