First Ilyad Miniature - WIP - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    209 (x3)

First Ilyad Miniature - WIP

I read an interesting article on color theory for painting miniatures and wanted to experiment a little more with "shading" rather than simply "coloring" on a miniature.

I tried to apply practical artistic theories to this miniature, such as shading with complimentary colors, looking more at teh direction of light etc...I havenever done this before on a miniature. Still very much a WIP.

I'm trying to do all the "light" areas with warmer yellows and bones and the shades with mainly purples and blues. Most colors are base coat other than the skin which is what I've been working on the most. I'm going for a kind of sickly pale skin tone. Here's how it looks so far, I'd love some tips on how to improve this:

On another not, Ilyad miniatures are probably some of the best in the world. Phenominal detail and awesome sculpts. Well worth their ridiculous price.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

very nice....i like it alot. I love the cold feel to it, especially that he looks like some frozen tundra hunter dude. It really gives depth to the skin in a way ive never seen before. cool model too! good job, and hope to see some more
    "This sure ain't no pansy Eldar Armor, Son"
    185th Cadian Armored Div.

"One Shot, One Kill"
    Western Border Patrol of Athel Loren

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by titan136 View Post
    On another not, Ilyad miniatures are probably some of the best in the world. Phenominal detail and awesome sculpts. Well worth their ridiculous price.
    Could you tell me a little more about them? What scale are they in relation to 40k? Are they pure fantasy, or do they do sci-fi as well? Metal, plastic or resin? Just curious.

P.S.: Nice job on that one.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

209 (x3)

ilyad miniatures are 30mm true scale as opposed to Warhammer 40k which is 28mm heroic scale (different proportions)

They are resin cast. I believe they only produce fantasy miniatures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

209 (x3)

Ok update on the Ilyad Barbarian. I did the fur and metallics. Actually the metallics painted themselves cause the sculpt was so damn good!

Also did a hell of a lot of blending to smoothen things up as suggested. You'll notice that the skin tone has changed from a mroe yellowing color to more of a paler color. Looking at the miniature itself, I think it might just be the pictures

This is probably the most time I've spent on a miniature because I'm constantly trying to learn more about shading and have been paying more attention to neatness and detail. As always comments and criticism are appreciated!

I also noticed the "Straight out of the Blister" contest just announced. Well this miniature *IS* straight out of the blister so methink I'll enter it for the hell of it

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Excellent stuff. WD did an article on using complementary colours a long time ago (5-6 years maybe) and it was superb. Much better than a lot of their current articles. I'm pleased you like the results- you should be very happy. It's often really good to try a figure like this, where you almost force yourself away from your normal painting technique. I think you'll find it a rewarding thing to have done in the future.

Figure looks superb, by the way.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

209 (x3)

Thanks PaintMonkey, you're right, its definitely a fun but still learning experience.

Here's a quick update. small changes to the armor, leather straps, sword and painted the hair white:

I still have 5 more wonderful ilyad barbarian miniatures to paint after this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

209 (x3)

Finally finished my straight out of the package contest entry, just in time with only about a week left before the deadline.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brilliant, the skin has real depth to it and the basing sets it off nicely.

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

I have to admit, but when I first saw this thread I was a little bit sceptical. But you have done one hell of a job with him. I love the skin, looks very pale but hints at a slight bit of warmth and the fur looks very natural. The base just gives it a nice overall theme. The only down things for me is the blood on the sword, it looks much too red. It it was streaked and perhaps a touch more purple then I would have said it would be much better.

A question, the base, is it bit of slate you used then covered with snow? Or did you use another material, as it is hard to tell.

KU

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast