Farseers and Warlocks (WIP) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Obsessed Eldar converter chandrila's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    111 (x2)

Farseers and Warlocks (WIP)

Hello all - I thought as a first post I'd display some of my first conversions after returning to to the hobby from a several year hiatus. I used to collect 2nd ed WH40K but gave up when it became clear that it was too costly for a 16 year old with no job that couldn't decide which army to collect for more than 10 minutes at a time. Now that I am older, wiser and more employable I decided just a couple of months ago to get back into it, picked up a copy of WD and saw the new Eldar range and having collected them before, saw this as a portent from Khaine himself! I must say I am very impressed with GW's products these days (even if the prices are, if anything, worse, the quality is vastly improved)!

Anyway, I've started putting together an Eldar force and these conversions represent some of my first ever attempts with using Green Stuff. I got a whole load of Warlocks and Farseers in an eBay auction (any shoddy painting is not mine!) and I've always liked the old Warlocks (barring the two hideous Seer Council minis). It's a shame there aren't that many Eldar conversions out there compared to the other races, but pretty much every model in my army is going to be converted (I expect this may take some time).

Feedback welcome!

This is the classic Farseer - I don't like the "no eyes/fishbowl" look, so I replaced the front half of the helmet with a Guardian one. Pretty pleased with this actually, simple as it is.

This Egyptian-style Farseer is a truly awful sculpt (being 90% head and with truncated arms), but having got two in the eBay auction I figured I ought to try to and make a go of it. I got rid of the cable (why do the super-advanced Eldar need cables anyway?) from the shuriken pistol, took off the stupidly large antlers and the awful Egyptian deathmask beard thing and added Tyrion's sword arm - the main problem with this sculpt is the stubby arms (the pistol arm is meant to be short as it's bent; the other is just poorly sculpted, being too short and actually bends as if it has 4 elbows) and have added a Green Stuff fur cloak to raise the shoulders and make the head seem smaller. Another pic of this below - I think that the longer sword arm definitely helps this miniature's proportions.

Below is a Warlock - I didn't like the laspistol hand or spear head, so changed both. I added a fur cloak here too as it makes the miniature look wider and more imposing.

Last of all, my WIP Eldrad conversion (below). To me the original is a great mini, but the pose doesn't look right and is overly dramatic for my tastes. By angling the staff downwards to give it more weight and giving him a pointing hand, it changes the dynamic of the mini entirely and looks quite different without looking forced. I still need to model the sleeves of his robe and I'll probably field him as a regular Farseer (though I have the Bonesinger too and he's tempting to use instead - gorgeous sculpt!).

I hope you like these and there are pics of some more Warlocks, Farseers, Rangers and Guardians if anyone's interested in seeing more.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Aye, I like what you're doing with them. Eldar do seem to suffer a bit in the HQ department - there have been a fair few duff models that don't make life at all easy for anyone who wants variation .

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Yes I do like them too. I think it is good that you ar being bold with your efforts. I think you should consider scale a little more. The Farsser that had the egytian death mask and antlers. If you look at the sword arm you have added it is a little long. Consider if he wasn't holding his arm in the air, his knuckles would easily drag on the ground. I suggest that you shorten it.

Overall I think they are very good, I especially agree with the removal of that cable. I never liked those cables on the Eldar and it makes the weapon look like it cannot be passed from one hand to the other, a serious design flaw for a bunch of ancient hyper wise types.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

111 (x2)

Firstly, thanks very much for the positive comments! I figured that if I was going to get back into the hobby I ought to do everything to the best of my ability, hence some pretty ambitious (well, for me at least after several years' break) conversions and I'm glad that they're going down well.

Quote Originally Posted by Leech View Post
    The Farsser that had the egytian death mask and antlers. If you look at the sword arm you have added it is a little long. Consider if he wasn't holding his arm in the air, his knuckles would easily drag on the ground. I suggest that you shorten it
    Yeah, I can't quite decide what to do about that - in the photos it looks a bit too long but for some reason holding the mini in hand it doesn't look so obvious. I think at most it's probably only around half a (mini-sized) fist too long. It's been pinned though so it'll be a pain to alter. I'll wait until the rest of the mini is finished and see if it looks out of place then.

I'll post a couple more pictures later - I've added a bit to the Eldrad conversion and I've got some more Warlocks and Guardians on the go too. I'm hoping to get into my local GW store tomorrow to pick up an Avatar as I've got some plans to change the pose on that quite drastically. It's such a great mini as it is (and I understand that it won't be replaced anytime soon despite earlier rumours to the contrary?) but it's a shame that the only conversions that you really ever see for it are weapon swaps or replacement Green Stuff-modelled hair. I was tempted to get the Forgeworld Avatar, but there's something not quite right about it (and I'm also a bit anxious to go hacking up a £45 mini).

Oh, and I've recently got hold of the two Forgeworld Eldar titan heads/masks - I've got a very special plan indeed for those ;-)
    Last edited by chandrila; January 5th, 2007 at 14:07.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

111 (x2)

Update with some more pictures:

I've decided to give all of my Guardians skirts (for the girls) and skirts/pantaloons (for the guys) from the High Elf Archers boxed set. This look works pretty well I feel, and looking at standard Guardians afterwards just makes them look... well, naked.

This is a standard bearer for the Guardian squad - I know Guardians don't have or need them, but I like the Eldar standards and figured it would be in keeping stylistically with the look of my army. This was made quite simply by chopping the High Elf Archer standard and pennant in half. I've since added a Green Stuff sash around the waist too.

This is my most heavily-converted Warlock. I've swapped the arm, added a ponytail, changed the orientation of the spear head, added a sash to the shaft of the spear, extended the fur cloak and also made the Warlock female. A second angle is shown below.

Lastly, see below for a second female Warlock. The waist on this model is so non-existent that I think even the adrogynous nature of the Eldar is not enough to convince me that this shouldn't be a woman!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice!!!

Very nice conversions, I can't wait to see the finished squad. I would love it if you posted other pics of your other units.

Scout Fast Response Unit Wins: 18 Losses: 4 Draws: 0

Wouldn't EMP grenades wreak havoc on a bunker of Space Marines?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

111 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant_Jack View Post
    Very nice conversions, I can't wait to see the finished squad. I would love it if you posted other pics of your other units.
    Cheers for the compliments, glad you like the conversions! I'll be posting some WIP shots of the extensive Avatar conversion I'm working on soon, as well as some updated pictures of my Warlocks and Farseers. Now that I've seen the two new Farseer sculpts I think I'm going to have to add them to the squad too though; I know I'll have no need for so many psykers in an actual army, but I just love the Eldar psyker models...

+ Reply to Thread