Cities of Death Terrain with pics - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x1)

Cities of Death Terrain with pics

Well cities of death has obviously been out for a while now, but this is some stuff that I put together a while ago now and never really got around to taking pics of, but with a month off and alot of major projects done I figured why not fix the broken bits and get some pics.

Well rather than just post up the pics and beg for people to praise them, I figured it would be more helpful to run through how I made the pieces, my design concept versus the practicality, and issues with construction.

The first piece I built was designed to be the centre piece of the table, as city of death missions involve the tallest building going in the centre, i had to make this building big to guarentee it place in the centre of the board. I also wanted to make it an intact building, just to be a little different from all the normal terrain you have on a board. So with that in mind I gathered up the sanctum pieces and started laying out the building. I love the new eagle doors so they were a must, then it was just a matter of making the building look even with windows versus solid pieces. Once i had the concept I went about constructing it to make sure it was what I wanted, to do this I used a crap load of paddlepop (icecream) sticks and bluetak. This is a good method to use so that you can get a full idea of the height and area of the building.

Pretty much everything went to plan with this so I started the actual construction, one problem i did find was keeping the pieces square. When making a ruined building it is ok to have the building a little wonky, but with an intact one it looks a little silly if it is not square. The drying time of the plastic glue really did not help here either. The answer was to start in the corners and work my way out from there, and to use a ruler to ensure the sides stayed straight. This proved a little fiddly but worked in the end.

With this building I decided that I wanted to build the two layers up first then place the roof on. Once i got the this stage I realised that there were issues with getting the roof together, and i had to introduce the pieces to the dremel to get it too fit nicely. Also as I wanted to be able to lift the roof off, I had to glue the pieces of the roof together. Once I had these pieces built I moved onto the next part of the project.

I figured as this was to be an intact building I wanted lights. So after a trip to the local electronics store I put together the first circuit, this was a disaster. The light I choose were 3V, and they were not bright enough, so after several more trips to the said electronics store I was able to set up 3 x 6V lights that would run off 2 x 9V batteries. As you can see in the pic I used a mount to attach the lights and positioned them to get the max effect of the lights.

Once the internal circuit was designed and fitted, i needed to set up a switch. I wanted the switch on the outside of the building so it was easy to get to, so I made the decision to have an ammo box located on the rear of the building near the door. to get the wire from the switch to the circuit I once again turned to the dremel and put a groove in the piece of wood it was getting mounted on.

Once I got to this stage the back of the project was broken and I started to paint it. The final hurdle was what to do with the windows, i wanted stained glass windows, but how??? I scanned in some images from the old 40K card games, and printed them onto inkjet capable overhead transparencies. This worked a treat and I PVAed them into the window frames. Turned on the lights and was severely disappointed at the result. The ink was not strong enough to make the image stand out. Then an inspiration of prue genius struck me, and I backed the images with greese proof paper - baking paper. Turned on the lights and GOLD!!!!

For those that are interested the squares for the tiles are just plasticard from the local hobby store too. The building is designed so that if one of the globes does blow i can lift off the roof and replace the offending globe. The way the circuit is set up one blown globe will stop it from working. Also there is a hole under the building to allow me to get to the batteries. the electronic bits including batteries came to less than $25 AUD

Overall I was pretty happy with the way this 2 week project came out, here are the pics.

This is from the front.

From the top

From the rear .... hehehe

The switch

LET THERE BE LIGHT!!!

Without the top so you can see the light and mount

I will post up some more of my stuff later on, once the camera recharges!!!

Ok this second building was actually the last that I made, so there was a little bit of using what i had left. The rough design is one of the buildings that was either in WD or the CoD dex, i cant remember which. But I loved the idea of having a archway that vehicles could drive through, so I set about building two smallish towers and the positioning a gangway/walkway between them. The walkway was made using in the floor tiles, and once again needed a date with the dremel to get it to all fit and be nice and neat. In fact it was an absolute bugger to do this and really used alot of patience and testing and adjusting, but i did get there in the end. This sort of thing is definately where putting it together before you secure it and glue it is a must.

To secure the building to the MDF (wooden base) i used PVA and that is the same for all the buildings and worked well. The tiles were a little tricky, but if you rough up the under side with sandpaper and then use PVA that works well. Not roughing it up is not as successful.

In order to add in a little bit of realism to the piece I used my good old favourite spakfilla to model the dirty and rubble that would be piled up next to the walls, generally this justs adds some texture, although you do have to be carefull to ensure that the models will still be able to stand on it if you intend to use it in games. A much simplier project than the first and only took about a day or two to knock up but still effective.

An overview

Inside one tower

Top View

Vehicle passing through

Front on vehicle passing through

Ok the third building here was actually the second I built, the only thing that I did not really do that i wished I had was the filla on the edges of the building. This building is once again very similar to the one in the dex and was one of my favs hence deciding to put it together myself.

Quite an easy one to put together the only real issue was the door and getting the blown in effect, with this you just have to be careful when using the knife. the girders you can see are straigth from a hobby store and add quite a bit (in my eyes) to the cities of death terrain pieces. You may also notice the piping, again hobby store and the puddle coming from it is the water effects.

The biggest thing with this piece was that it needed to be function, hence all the raised areas were designed so that a model could balance on them (not the CSM in one of the pics).

General view

Top view

Ground with marine

Close up of ground

Ok this last building here is my fav, designed to be the fortified building stratagem it has sevred me well in two tourneys now. I wanted to make sure it was a decent size, no point having a small defended location, also as I was initially using Iron Warriors I wanted it to be something they would defend - a factory seemed the logical choice. The design itself is from the dex, although with some significant mods, mainly in the fortifiying bit. I made sure that there were no unobstructed entry points, using putty, wire and rubble to provide a good solid defended location. Here are the pics:

Front

Rear

Side

Close up

And here is the table fully laid out

Last edited by Hilly; January 9th, 2007 at 07:17.
    Army most recently finished (well kinda): Space Wolves
    Last Project completed: Converted Aegis Defence Lascannon
    Next Project: Long Fang Diaorama

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Wher dat naked blue chik? Jaffar_Hasad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    260 (x6)

Wow, impressive. So have you ever thought of making street posts with LEDs at the doors?
    Sleeping, not dead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Removed by the moderators.

Second Company Apothecary SentryKiller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Excellent work! The extra effort of the lighting adds a ton to the project, even if its just played in the daylight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x1)

Cheers guys,

Yeah added pics of the second building now, hopefully (dependent on the puter) I will have the other pics up within a couple of hours, so check back when you get the chance.

With the street lights question, it was something I considered but my lack of electronics knowledge makes it a big project at the moment, but something I may look to do in the future. As I can still get into the building i can do more with it in the future.
    Army most recently finished (well kinda): Space Wolves
    Last Project completed: Converted Aegis Defence Lascannon
    Next Project: Long Fang Diaorama

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im not a big fan of the new COD terrain but this looks nice. Good job!

DOWN WITH THE FALSE EMPEROR!!!MAY HIS GALAXY BURN!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG they look amazing i love them it makes me want some ( if only i had cash ) and the lighting makes it just that extra bit fun to play with. good job
    (\_/)
    (0.0)
    (><)This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this message into your signature to help him on his way to world Domination!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

Very nice factory building love the color on it and the nooks and cranies, couple of questions for you.

on the first building with the lights what did you build the tiled base out of ? is it a plasticard surface ? second how many city kits did you use in total so far ??

exellent job all around.

Thought for the day: A Burning Heretic , Will brighten the Decor of any room.

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

fantastic buildings, love the intact building with the light, and the archway (porte cochere architecture fans!) but do you play on that unpainted board? kind of lets down the buildings!
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

81 (x1)

You've got some great stuff there. I especially like the detailed explanations.

I found the same thing about assembling roofs for the terrain. It can be a total pain in the arse.

I would recommend painting a few of the detail parts on the buildings to break the colors up more, like you did on the first building. It helps make the buildings a little livelier.

Also, big kudos on the lighting. Using that ammo crate to hide the switch was brilliant.

:ninja:
    www.HIGHBATTALION.com - it's a link, you click it.
    "The world will be a better place when the world's resources are used for Giant Robots."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

77 (x2)

I like it. The light in the building is pretty neat too.

Just... I don't know.. the red building. The paintjob looks good, but the color... i don't like it. But maybe it'll look beter on a good board, along with a bunch of good mini's.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast