Test Tyranid Scheme (Ravener) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Test Tyranid Scheme (Ravener)

.... Just a ravener I was testing schemes on (I'm planning on starting a 'nid army). The body is gore red drybrushed over the black base coat, highlighted with thin blood red, then coated with chestnut ink. The ink did pool a bit and mottle the highlights, but the overall effect was pretty damn good looking.

The carapace went through a lot of different colors: I started with black... layed down some graveyard earth and tried to do a brownish look with snakebite leather and vomit brown. Not entirely satisfied, I thinned down some bleached bone and made many fine striations (or whatever they're called).... though in the end it just looked sloppy, so I just globbed on bleached bone, with pretty satisfying results.

In the end, I think it should be easy enough to paint.... and I really like the contrast.

Last edited by Aahz; January 9th, 2007 at 03:18.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

beautiful

I can't wait to see more!
    Cheers
    Mouthrax

New Look Website
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

I like the red, skinless and blody body of this thing... You must coat it with gloss seal where needed to preserve that wet look I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x7)

I love it, youve glossed the model like I do, I think this fits the fluff very well as it states the nids are covered in slime and stuff, so while you might get negative comments about this, id leave it if you like it!

The colours work really well. The only thing id say is that the carapace looks a little 'painted on'. You could make it look more armour like by giving it a drybrush of bestial brown or somthing similar. Also if you have to time or inclination to do so, some kind of marking could be added to make it stand out more. I just use triangles for markings. see pic for example

Very good scheme and cant wait to see more. Keep it up!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

That looks very good as for gobbing on the bleached bone, I think what you have done works very well. You said the ink you used started to pool a bit. The way to avoid ink pooling is to make sure your brush is only wet with the ink. Basically it must have no blobs or drops on it. When you apply it there isn't enough ink to spill all over the place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welll I have to say that your scheme is very similair to mine. Give me a day or two and I will post pics. Maybe we should trade techniques as mine is the other way around the carpace looks better than the flesh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love what you did with the carapace! It looks very natural, thick and bony! IMO, I think you overdid the gloss on the skin a bit, and it looks like the ravener just fell in a stream or something. I might tone it down some, either use less gloss, or just reserve it for certain areas (rescesses, tounge, etc...) Good job tough, looks good over all!
    Check some sweet 1.5/2k Chaos!
    There's no 'I' in revolu-... in team!

+ Reply to Thread